This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

If there’s one thing every girl needs, it’s a good wardrobe. It can really get you through anything. Whether it’s a bad hair day, breakup, or even a move across the country for your dream job, your closet is one of the most constant things in your life. It defines how you are perceived to others and how you feel about yourself. But what if your closet isn’t making you happy? What if you’ve moved from a small town to a big city and can’t seem to measure up? Maybe you just want a fresh start. Welcome to Build Your Closet, a series where we rebuild your closet from basics to finishing touches and talk about confidence, beauty, and self-love.

Let’s start with the foundation: basics. These are certain pieces every girl needs in her closet for layering, a base to add statement jewelry, shoes, or outerwear on top of. Don’t worry, we’ll get to all that fun stuff later in the series. Here are some tips for finding basics that will carry you through any event, occasion, or season.

Basic Tops

There are certain basic tops every girl needs in her wardrobe. A tank top, short-sleeve shirt, and long-sleeve shirt in both black and white are considered essential. A black or white turtleneck and collared shirt are great for layering during the winter months. What basics you buy depends on what climate you live in. For example, if you live in a typically cold climate, buy more basics meant for cold weather (long-sleeves, turtlenecks, collared shirts).

Basic Bottoms

To complement your basic tops, you’ll need some basic bottoms. If you’re comfortable wearing denim, a regular wash, white, and black pair need to have a home in your wardrobe. If you’re not a denim girl, a pair of semi-casual black pants and white pants in a fabric of your choice are great to have. Make sure to add a pair of professional pants for your internship or job. You also need some shorts for summertime (again, in whatever fabric you’re most comfortable wearing). Basic skirts in whatever style is your favorite (tennis skirt, miniskirt, midi skirt) need a few dedicated hangers in your closet.

Professional Basics

As you enter the professional workspace, you’ll need some nice business casual items for interviews, headshots and the office. A nice pair of tailored pants, white button-down, and coordinating jacket will do. If you have a favorite pair of non-denim pants, you can dress them up with a blazer and a button-down or a classy tank (nothing too low cut).. Heels or loafers are great options for professional, day-to-day shoes. I prefer loafers because I somehow still struggle walking in heels.

Leisure Basics
Girl Reading A Book In Bed
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

For lounging around the house, fill a drawer with comfy sweatpants, hoodies and fuzzy socks. If you’re an athleisure girl, a couple pairs of leggings or bike shorts and matching sports bras are great to dress up or dress down.

Shoe Basics

Shoes are easy – wear whatever you’re comfortable in. A well-loved pair of sneakers completes every outfit – like a classic pair of Air Forces or Converse. A sturdy pair of boots, my favorite is the classic black Doc Martens, give you a little edge. A nice pair of neutral heels or wedges are good for church on Sundays, last-minute weddings, brunch dates, and date parties. 

Your wardrobe basics are what you’ll find yourself reaching for the most, so make sure you feel confident and comfortable in them. Pick fabrics that are kind to your skin and a fit that works with your lifestyle. But don’t be afraid to add a little bit of you into your basics, this blueprint isn’t a uniform, it’s a guideline. If you like a tank top that’s one-shoulder, get the one-shoulder. For the rest of your wardrobe to feel like you, the foundation has to be authentic.

Megan Johnson

Alabama '24

Megan is a writer for the Alabama chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior at the University of Alabama and currently double majoring in English and Creative Advertising. In her free time, she enjoys reading, art, shopping, and being with friends. She has a passion for social justice and loves to give advice, watch movies that make her cry, and FaceTime her sister just to see her cats.