Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Being in a Bipartisan Relationship in a Partisan Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

According to many members in the Alabama College Republicans, I am the liberal girlfriend. My friends and family shuffle uncomfortably when I clarify that my long term boyfriend is conservative. Some, baffled by the juxtaposition, are constantly nagged by our opposing political affiliations. Others are merely curious–do we watch the news together? Do we ever fight over politics? How can you support them when they have these beliefs?

I grew up recycling, eating meat alternatives, and listening to All Things Considered on NPR. Clint grew up on soul food, country music, and coming home every afternoon from the school bus to cornbread and a mason jar of sweet tea from his grandma. We grew up differently but both happy. We had varying interests but still maintained surprisingly similar views on life. Clint and I met in a rural Alabama high school, spending our time at Friday night football games and the local meat-and-three, and now we both attend The University of Alabama. Within the last few years, I have attended democratic political rallies and marched in the 2017 International Women’s March, and I apply for absentee ballots to vote democratic in every available election. Clint is the Executive Director of the College Republican Federation of Alabama, involved in the College Republican chapter at the university, and currently majoring in political science. We are both educated and politically active in our opposing parties, and, after four years together today, we are roommates living under the same roof.

Like any relationship, we disagree. Sometimes we disagree on a political candidate, and sometimes we disagree on where to get dinner. It still baffles me how similar our views actually are, and our differences tend to be more about priorities and processes than differing opinions. It is a cliché that we need to all come together and see eye to eye. No one has the answers for solving the constant conflict in our country. However, there is a reason for every opinion. It does no good to stay small minded and the only associate with opinions you agree with. We all need to read the news, listen to the concerns of others, and come to our own individual opinions regarding the world around us. We do not always have to agree with others, but through conversation and exposure, we can all improve our politics to include more opinions within our parties.

I remember early on in our relationship, we began to slowly realize the opposition in our political views. I was petrified to have a conversation about it, and I’m sure he was too. After a short discussion, his comforting words have stuck with me ever since: “We all have the same goals, we just have different opinions about how to get there.”