Style > Fashion

Accessorizing This Fall Without Overdoing It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

I don’t know about you, but accessorizing is something I’ve really learned the importance of in the last few years. Accessories can truly make or break an outfit. However, depending on your style, certain accessories may work better for you. Here are some of my faves (especially now that it’s my favorite season of the year) that are perfect for sprucing up any outfit!

hats

Starting with the basics, hats are a super fun way to spice up an outfit. I know some people think they “just don’t look good in hats,” but you just have to find the right kind! Why not be adventurous and try a conductor hat? Or maybe have an “Emily in Paris” moment with a cute beret! Of course now that it’s finally getting chilly out, catch me wearing a beanie pretty much every day. Hats may seem a little out of your comfort zone, but I promise once you find the right one for your style, it’s life changing.

Hair scarves & hair clips

When I was in high school, I wore a hair scarf every other day to school. No joke. They make any outfit chicer, and there are so many ways to wear them! You can tie them into your ponytail, do a half-up half-down look, or wear them like a bandana. They come in so many sizes, colors and patterns that finding the one for you shouldn’t be a struggle. I’ve gotten some of my favorites from Bershka and Urban Outfitters over the years.

As for hair clips… YES!! They are also super versatile, with so many fun ways to wear them. I’ve relied on TikTok to show me some new ways I can style a hair clip. They come in different sizes and colors too, so play around with them and find the best way to wear them for your hair type! I recommend the sets from Amazon, but you can also purchase them at many other smaller or local stores.

jewelry

Don’t worry, I could never forget jewelry! Don’t sleep on some of these new trends. Layering necklaces are a great go-to to spice up a cute, dainty fit if that’s more your style. Also, chunky gold chain necklaces are making a comeback, and I must say, I’ve fallen for this trend (pun intended). Check out some local boutiques or Etsy for these contemporary necklace looks!

bags

Boy, do I love a cute purse! This season baguette bags will be on everyone’s shoulders. A little baguette bag is a great way to jazz up any simple outfit. It adds that extra moxie you didn’t realize you needed. These affordable and stylish bags can be found on Amazon in different colors and textures. Might as well grab a few to match all your outfits!

Erin Jeter

Alabama '24

Erin is a junior at the University of Alabama studying public relations with a minor in French. She is obsessed with coffee, Gilmore Girls, and can usually be found watching early 2000s movies with her roommates. Erin is also "the cooking roommate," so feel free to send any fun recipes her way!