This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

I know I miss the excitement of being a little kid on Halloween; going to school in your costume, having a Halloween party instead of reading, and then going out at night with your parents for trick-or-treating. If Halloween fell on a weekday in high school, the scariest thing I was seeing was my chem homework, but during the weekends, I put together a “costume” and went to a party. Now, in college, I know there are twenty different Halloween parties where I could hop around in a Playboy Bunny costume, but parties aren’t for everyone! If you want to stay in and have a chill Halloween night, here are some ideas: 

Have a Movie Night

I love watching a movie with my besties, and Halloween movies are the *chef’s kiss* of cinema. Any scary movie will do, but if scary movies aren’t your thing, I recommend The Addams Family, Casper, Halloweentown or Paranorman. You could even spice up your movie night with popcorn mixed with your favorite candies. 

Carve a pumpkin

It is messy but so much fun. There are tons of templates online to create some spooky Jack-O-Lanterns or you could carve your school’s logo and show off your spirit. You can get carving kits from Target or Party City. Grab a pumpkin from the grocery store or make a trip to a local pumpkin patch with your boo thang or besties. 

Have a Halloween Bake Off

Throw a party where all your friends must bake a Halloween themed dessert. A few ideas include a pumpkin pie, decorated cupcakes, green, purple, or orange Rice Krispie treats or caramel apples! The best part is you get to eat what you and your friends make!

Dress up & Have a Themed Night

For the whole night, you and your friends should act like the characters you dress up as. If you don’t want to host a party or don’t feel comfortable going out, this can easily be done over Zoom or FaceTime! Zoom has plenty of Halloween themed backgrounds to spice up your call! 

Learn a Fun Halloween Dance

A simple YouTube search for “Halloween Dance” will populate hundreds of results. Close your exercise ring and learn The Monster MashThriller, or become TikTok famous dancing to Spooky, Scary Skeletons.

Whatever you chose to do, have fun and be safe! Happy Halloween!

MJ Miller

Alabama '24

MJ Miller is from Los Angeles, California and is thoroughly enjoying her studies at the University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa. MJ loves spending time with her friends and making Taylor Swift playlists.
Alabama Contributor