Wellness

10 Reasons Why Everyone Who Gets Periods Should Consider A Menstrual Cup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Menstrual Cups have become increasingly popular over recent years. Many companies offer variations, such as the Diva Cup ®, Lunette Cup ®, and the Evacup ®. Menstrual cups may not be for everyone, but we all should learn more about their many benefits!

1. Most menstrual cups can be left in for around 12 hours of protection! That makes sleeping on your period no problem, and you only have to empty it twice a day (although you should always read the instructions on the box to learn about your specific brand’s recommendations).

2. Menstrual cups are very healthy, as they do not contain any bleaches or harsh chemicals (unlike most tampons and pads). Plus they do not mess with your PH balance or the natural moisture of your vagina.

3. Reusable sanitary products cut way down on waste produced by periods. A menstrual cup can replace years’ worth of disposable tampons and pads, making them much more eco-friendly.

4. Because menstrual cups are made from a flexible silicone, they are incredibly comfortable. As long as it is incorrectly, you don’t even notice it, even though sleeping, exercise, and running daily errands.

5. Menstrual cups average around $30 dollars and last for up to 10 years. That’s only around 6 boxes of pads or tampons, which would probably only last a couple of months. This can save you hundreds of dollars in the long run.

6. Menstrual cups can accommodate almost anyone! They are perfect for very heavy and very light flows, and they come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and brands to suit everyone.

7. They are easy to use (once you get the hang of it). Honestly, they can take some practice, but once you get it right, it is quick and simple.

8. They do not leak, even if they are full! As long as they are in properly, the vacuum seal that they create keeps everything contained and leak-free.

9. They are perfect for swimming! Due to their comfort, long-term wear, and low chance of leaks, they are ideal for all day at the pool or beach (or even the bath)!

10. Last but not least, menstrual cups are convenient. They easily fit into a purse or bag, so they are easy for class, work, and travel. You can take your menstrual cup with you at all times, and never have to worry about running out of tampons or pads again!

Alabama Contributor