This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

This past summer, I took two summer courses through The University of Akron.

One of the courses was a Star Wars class. Yes. You heard it right.

I don’t think I would have expected to take a Star Wars class amid the summer of my up-and-coming junior year in college when I’m majoring in English.

However, this Star Wars class was a part of fulfilling my credits for my minor in Public Relations. The course would focus on media and storytelling within the Star Wars saga.

We learned about the Hero’s Journey archetype where the hero faces certain obstacles or makes certain revelations. In addition to watching the Original Saga with Mark Hamill (Luke), Carrie Fisher (Leia), and Harrison Ford (Han Solo), we also watched the Prequel and the latest trilogy.

Not to mention, we surveyed some other films made such as The Book of Boa Fett and Star Wars the Clone Wars.

We also analyzed topics in these films relating to race, gender, media, etc.

Overall, the Star Wars class was insightful and an interesting way to progress through the Public Relations minor.

Emily is excited to be a part of the Akron chapter of Her Campus. She is majoring in English and minoring in Converged Media Studies. She is also working toward a Certificate in Professional Social Media. Emily enjoys drinking tea, decorating, and spending time with her family. Her favorite motto / quote to live by is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."