mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

The Who’s Who of Who’s Running: Part 4

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Yep folks, we’ve made it to Part 4 of The Who’s Who of Who’s Running.

Since Part 3 was published, about one month ago on March 15, there were 16 candidates with 14 Democrats. There are now 22 candidates running for president, 20 in the Democratic party. Since my last article Joe Biden, Wayne Messam, Seth Moulton, Tim Ryan and Eric Swalwell have joined the race.

Joe Biden is probably the most well-known candidate in the race, polling high because of his extensive history in the Democratic Party despite joining the race only last week. According to The New York Times, Biden is a very well-liked figure in the Democratic party because he is relatable and energizes the working-class demographic. Biden also has some of the most impressive credentials, having been the Vice President for President Barack Obama’s two terms and having been a former Delaware Senator. Biden also had two prior presidential runs. According to The Washington Post, Biden dropped out of his first president race because of accusations of plagiarism in his speeches in 1988 and his second 2008 race failed because of miscommunication between staffers and issues rallying voters, especially during the Iowa caucuses. Biden has experienced some criticism for his comments during the infamous Anita Hill hearing for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas’s confirmation hearing in 1991 as well as making women uncomfortable with overly intimate contact and standing too close. Biden’s platform for this campaign is “Restoring America’s standing on the global stage” and “strengthening economic protections for low-income workers in industries like manufacturing and fast food.”

Another mayor has entered the race, joining Buttgieg and Castro. Wayne Messam is the mayor of Miramar, Florida, and also has some fame from playing on Florida State University’s football team in 1993 when they won nationals and for subsequently being drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in 1997. Messam may be considered a longshot, but his policies are in line with the Democratic Party having declared his city a safe zone in regards to illegal immigration, protecting the everglades from oil-drilling and trying to make the amphitheater in Miramar gun-free. Messam is the son of Jamaican immigrants, and he became his city’s first black mayor. This Florida mayor states, “America belongs to all of us. The promise of America belongs to all of us. That’s why I’m going to be running for president. To be your champion.” His signature issue, according to The New York Times, is cancelling the student debt of over 44 million Americans.

Iraq war veteran and Massachusetts congressman, Seth Moulton, has also joined the race having dedicated himself to beating Donald Trump. Moulton was quoted as saying, “I’m running because we have to beat Donald Trump. And I want us to beat Donald Trump because I love this country.” Moulton has made his name by defeating a Democratic incumbent to earn his seat in Congress and by leading the opposition of Nancy Pelosi’s recent appointment to Speaker of the House. According to The New York Times, Moulton has emphasized his four tours with the Marine Corps especially in relation to foreign and domestic policy, defense and security. This Harvard grad has built his campaign around foreign policy.

Tim Ryan is an Ohio Congressman, specifically for the Akron, Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley. Ryan may only be 45 years old, but he has been in Congress for 16 years. Ryan’s career has been built around supporting the working class. This Ohio congressman is a long time Catholic and was once an opponent of abortion, but is now pro-choice. His platform consists of Medicare for all, being the cosponsor of the Equality Act to protect LGBTQ+ individuals and supporting union rights. Ryan once had an A rating from the NRA but now supports raising the minimum age of purchasing a gun and stricter background checks, and he also supports “very aggressive” trade negotiations that help the U.S. Ryan did receive some national attention for challenging Nancy Pelosi for the minority leader position in 2016 and losing. Interestingly, rapper Cardi B shouted out Tim Ryan saying, “As a matter of fact, I was watching the news and I saw this guy Tim Ryan, and his speech was very convincing to me. He really wants to give the United States free healthcare, and that’s a big plus. We need healthcare!”

At 38 years old, Eric Swalwell is only one year older than fellow Democrat and presidential candidate, Pete Buttgieg, and he would also be the youngest president if elected. The California Congressman is quite popular on the cable news according to The New York Times, and is currently a member of the House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees. Swalwell supports Medicare for all, a national ban on assault weapons and the Equality Act to protect LGBTQ+ people. Swalwell has stated, “The biggest question that any candidate should ask themselves is, ‘Can you make a difference for the people who you’d serve?’ And I believe I could.”

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.