Supporting Public Libraries Amid Budget Cuts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

If your childhood summers were anything like mine, you likely spent rainy afternoons at the local library. When the pool or the park weren’t available options, the next best thing was cozying up with one of several The Magic Tree House books on one of the Akron Public Library’s colorful beanbag chairs.

I was lucky enough to grow up in an environment where reading was encouraged and where books were treasured. For those who might not have been so lucky at home, the local public library had the potential to fulfill that role. And it continues to do so today, despite several forces attempting to thwart its ability.

Within his first 100 days, President Trump released a budget outline summarizing his proposed changes to the national budget. Among those changes include the total elimination of four independent agencies: the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).

The IMLS reportedly received $230 million in federal money in 2016, a mere 0.00006 percent of that year’s national budget. The Institute is also responsible for providing several crucial grants to museums and libraries across the country, keeping them afloat on already dwindling budgets. Director of IMLS, Dr. Kathryn K. Matthew, has even issued a response to the proposed cuts, stating: “The institutions we serve provide vital resources that contribute significantly to Americans’ economic development, education, health, and well-being whether by facilitating family learning and catalyzing community change or stimulating economic development through job training and skills development.”

Regardless of who you are, these budget cuts and eliminations of public services will affect you as an individual, as well as the community in which you live. If you see yourself as someone who cares about your community institutions, and the equity of success among all members of society, then consider taking the necessary steps to fight back.

Here are a few ways you may able to help support public libraries:

Visit Your Local Library Often & Make Use of Its Services

The Columbus Dispatch found in 2016 that Ohioans who visit the library retain “the highest per capita rate in the country,” and reasons for the success include state funding and high citizen demand.

When it becomes clear that libraries and their services are in demand by citizens, it builds a strong case for defending these institutions. Applying for a library card, checking out books, requesting inter-library transfers, and using research databases are all easy ways to utilize the services libraries offer. These actions can also help create a data log that libraries can use as proof of their desired services, in case they need to substantiate the already obvious nature of their importance.

Beyond offering books at your fingertips, libraries work especially hard to develop programming relevant to community needs. Classes can range from child-oriented learning experiences, to adult computer and literacy offerings. There are endless opportunities to sign up for book clubs or author events, and this kind of participation only further engages community support. A calendar of upcoming events held at Akron-Summit County Public Libraries can be found here.

Volunteer Your Time

It can be difficult to find spare time to volunteer in a busy schedule (especially if you are a college student), but if you find that your weekends or school breaks are free, consider spending a few hours at your local library. Volunteers are always needed to help with things such as shelving or running events, and are essential to help lowering overhead costs. Added bonuses include learning new skills in how the institution functions and getting to know different members of the community.

Donate Your Used Books

It can be difficult to part with any book you’ve enjoyed, but if you are looking to clear out your shelves, consider donating gently used books to your library. Usually, they are preferred to be without highlighting or torn pages, so if you have a few in mind consider sharing the joy of a story with someone else.

Consider Donating or Becoming a Member

If you are able to, a great way to benefit your local library is by donating or becoming a sustaining member. Financial support to libraries make a world of difference to the capacities in which they are able to offer services, and contributions can range from monthly, to yearly, to whatever can be offered at the time. Memberships also often include benefits such as special access to events or newly arrived books. To learn more about they ways you may be able to contribute to the Akron-Summit County Public Library, click here.

Additionally, if you are looking to support public libraries on a more national scale, consider donating to the American Library Association (ALA). Based in Washington D.C., the ALA aspires to protect the freedoms of public libraries across the country and promote the wonderful services libraries everywhere provide. The ALA offers several options for those looking to contribute to the security of libraries, as well as how to become involved in this kind of work.

Vote

Voting in local elections is one of the most direct ways to influence support of your public libraries. Funding and other legislative matters are almost always on the chopping blocks of local governments, and turning up to vote for measures supporting libraries shows an insistence of their importance. Calling your library to find out more about upcoming legislation that may affect them is a great way to stay informed, as is dialing the lines of local representatives to express what a library means to your community. Always make an effort to advocate on behalf of these institutions.

The library will always be more than just a building that holds books inside. It is filled with people of all parts of a community: the librarian who’s passionate about helping others, the adult learner looking for research assistance, and the child discovering the wonder that exists with the turn of every page. Libraries have been vital institutions of opportunity in our society as long as they have existed, and it would be senseless to sit back idly as they are attacked. We, as adults, have been fortunate enough to experience the childhood bliss that a library can provide, and now it’s important to give children of the future that same chance to spend their rainy summer days dreaming as well.

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.