Student Carves Pineapple In Spite of Hall Restriction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

The University of Akron student, Alex Schwarz, found a loophole to a not-so-popular residence hall rule that says students cannot display carved pumpkins in the building. Alex told BuzzFeed News, “Some higher-ups sent an email to all the RAs in my dorm and the one next to ours saying no pumpkins because they rot and might attract bugs and rats.”

Not to let this rule prevail, but still wanting to adhere to it, Schwarz goes around the rule and decides to carve a pineapple instead.

Alex says his RA was fine with the pineapple as long as it didn’t rot.

Another RA in a different residence hall was not too fond of the festive pineapple idea, and when the carved pineapple didn’t disappear, the RA gladly made it happen and left a thoughtful note on the outside of his door that said, “Gone!”

In retaliation, Alex decided to carve a few small apples and put them outside of his doorway. Alex tweeted, “The RA on duty threw my pineapple away. This means war.”

Many thoroughly enjoyed this series of events and were even inspired to get creative in their own ways, a few even carving watermelon. Alex’s tweet about the pineapple went viral with nearly 4,000 retweets and over 21,000 likes over the course of the past few days.

“The core was pretty awful to get out…it was fun though. A lot of people think the pineapple is scarier than the traditional pumpkin” Alex told BuzzFeed News.

University of Akron English Education Major
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.