This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

If you haven’t heard already, Sierra Burgess Is A Loser was released on Netflix this past month. The plot revolves around a girl named Sierra Burgess who is the definition of a “loser.” She gets a mysterious text from a boy who turns out to be this handsome football player at another school. He believes the girl he is texting is the popular girl. Sierra saw an opportunity and pretended to be someone she wasn’t.

I had been waiting a long time to see the movie as I’ve had my own personal story with a catfish. I had my frustrations with this movie but it also was kind of triggering for me. As I’m sitting here and watching the movie, I am thinking of my own experiences from when I was younger and the lies that built up on top of one another.

Then as I watch the movie go on, I realize that this is a movie put on by Netflix. Sierra Burgess is going to come out as a decent human being who gets the guy in the end.

So let me make one thing clear: There is nothing romantic about lying about your identity. There is nothing romantic about hiding who you are because you’re ashamed of who you are. There is nothing romantic about being catfished. It is something that affected me for year to come and still plays a big part in my life today. There is no such thing as a happy ending when you’re being lied to at such a vulnerable time.

Watching this movie, I was appalled and offended by the concept. Sierra Burgess is a liar and didn’t deserve the happy ending that she got. If that makes me a mean person, look at it from my point of view. Lying shouldn’t get you the guy, especially considering catfishing someone is a form of manipulation.

In my opinion, the movie shouldn’t have ended the way that it did. Would I watch it again? No. But that is just my opinion. What do you think of the movie?

Arden Palmquist is a Senior at The University of Akron majoring in Public Relations. She enjoys blogging and posting on her Instagram.