Style

Positive Change is the New Black at London Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

London Fashion Week kicked off February 14 on Valentine’s Day and a model for change took center stage as innovation and diversity were the pioneering forces of inspiration at this year’s show. With the new #SustainableMe initiative prompted by a collaboration between BBC Earth, The British Fashion Council, and clothing brand, Mother Pearl, the campaign asked producers and consumers alike to rethink the way they create and use fashion.

The five day fashion expo also focused on the welcoming of 16 designers from around the world whose focus was not just on design and creativity, but on thought-provoking representation that questions the norm and creates new ideas for for a better tomorrow.

Positive Fashion

Teaming up together,  BBC Earth, The British Fashion Council and fashion brand, Mother Pearl, headed by creative director Amy Powney, came together to showcase positive  innovation in the fashion world. The initiative places emphasis on sustainability, equality, diversity, craftsmanship and community. The collaboration was created to bring the global reach of the BBC network, the creative  pioneering strategies of Mother Pearl and the fashion influence of the British Fashion Council together in an effort to change the way that fashion is produced and distributed.

Check out these five talking points about London Fashion Week.

On February 16, the teams celebrated their collaboration for #SustainableMe. So far, the initiative has reached out to 12 million people, teaching everyone how to be a more conscious consumer. The proposal advocates for all retailers and designers to become more aware of the way they create and manufacture products. The initiative has encouraged industry designers and manufacturers to switch to green energy supplies. It also prompts them to reduce their energy and water intake, create more efficient and precise uses of their resources, and reduce chemical usage in fabrics, textiles, and footwear by being more aware of restricted chemicals not permitted in the production of clothes and footwear. Upcycling any old products was another tactic.

Diverse Fashion

The International Fashion Showcase presented work from sixteen designers from around the world. Each designer represented their country through designs that embodied the individual’s take on politics, sustainability, identity, and heritage. The showcase titled Brave New Worlds: The Changing Landscape of Fashion worked with the International British Council and The British Fashion Council to coordinate the exhibit that was hosted at Somerset House in London. The designers also participated in business development classes lead by the London College of Fashion, which gave the sixteen designers tools to better promote their brand.

Highlights of the exhibit came from Duran Lantink of the Netherlands. His work showcased  designs that criticized the phenomena of constant sales and discounts in the fashion industry. Lantink also debuted 0 Percent Duran, which creates fashion without production and repurposes garments from outlet sites. Lantik is also the genius designer behind the vagina pants in Janelle Monae’s PYNK video.

Cedric Mizero of Rwanda drew attention to the marginalized communities in his home country. With his designs, he focused on the wealth of his community instead of the negative aspects that are often associated with the rural areas of the world

Finally, Laura Laurens presented work that came from her collaboration with three LGBTQ members of Colmbi’s Indigenous Embera community.    

My Name is Jasmine Scruggs. I am a Junior at the University of Akron. I am studying Media Studies with a minor in English. I love to be involved and try new things! Meeting new people and going new places. I am working towards becomeing a Film Director and Screenwriter
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.