This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

On September 7 around 2pm, in the middle of Sisterhood round of Recruitment, the news of Mac Miller dying was spread through the house. At first, I couldn’t believe it. I had always known who Mac Miller was and when I was younger, he used to be an artist I’d listen to.

It was really shocking at first as I watched some of my sisters cry. Then it felt a little more real. This was an artist I had listened to in middle school. My friend growing up loved Mac Miller, absolutely adored the artist.

But still, it was all too soon. An artist as young as Mac Miller wasn’t supposed to die yet. Right? At least, that’s what I keep telling myself. We keep losing great artists in all forms. I went through the list last night with a friend and counted so many artists that we have lost over the years. What’s worse is that the list is only going to get longer.

Mac Miller, your music was raw and it meant a lot to a lot of my friends. Your music helped them through some dark times and you will always be an inspiration to many. This wasn’t supposed to happen so early, but it did. Musical artists have a lot to live up to and you will be dearly missed.

Arden Palmquist is a Senior at The University of Akron majoring in Public Relations. She enjoys blogging and posting on her Instagram.