Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Netflix is Raising its Prices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

The world-renowned best friend that has been by the sides of generations, young and old, over the past few years is making a major change: Netflix is about to raise its prices.

For two of the three plans, Netflix is adding a few extra dollars to the middle and top tier as of next month. The standard service will soon cost $10.99 per month instead of $9.99, and the premium service cost is running up to $13.99 a month rather than $11.99. These two options include the features of more than one screen running at a time, as well as the possible HD option for streaming. Luckily, for those who have the basic plan, there is no price change and you get to keep the price of $7.99 a month…for now.

According to Mashable, Netflix declined any requests for interviews, but they did release this statement: “From time to time, Netflix plans and pricing are adjusted as we add more exclusive TV shows and movies, introduce more product features and improve the overall Netflix experience to help members find something great to watch even faster.”

This is the first price hike since 2014, and even then, subscribers had time to adjust to the change. This time around, subscribers are only receiving a few weeks’ notice before the rapid change goes live.

By December, every Netflix subscriber will be paying the higher price.

So, what does this mean for us as subscribers?

Well, it means Netflix will be releasing more original series, documentaries, and comedy specials to the lineup. Yes, the price is rising, however, it seems like it might be worth the couple extra dollars.

Even after the price change, Netflix is still cheaper than HBO ($15 per month) or Hulu’s commercial-free plan ($11.99 per month).

University of Akron English Education Major