This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a holiday that pretty much everyone and their mother knows about. But the real question is: how the hell did Valentine’s Day become a national holiday? 

Valentine’s Day is celebrated every year across the United States and other various places on February 14th. Typically candy, flowers, and other cliché , themed gifts are exchanged. This holiday is named after the saint, St. Valentine. 

According to History.com, St. Valentine was a saint in the Catholic Church. He was put to death by Claudius II because although Claudius had ruled that single men made better soldiers, St. Valentine continued to perform marriages. There are also some conspiracies that say that St. Valentine was ordered to death because he was helping people escape the harsh Roman prisons. One woman reported that while St. Valentine was imprisoned, he sent her the first “valentine” which introduced himself after he fell in love with her. Some reports say she might have even been his jailor’s daughter.

Sounds romantic right? Well there’s more. 

Right before St. Valentine was put to death, he sent her another letter that was signed, “From your Valentine.” Today, we still continue to use this saying. This is extremely romantic, especially during this time period. Following this, people started to celebrate this holiday.

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Many people think that Valentine’s Day is just a holiday made up by candy and card companies so they could sell more products and make more money, but that isn’t really true. This is a holiday showcasing that St. Valentine was a sympathetic, romantic and kind-hearted person. 

St. Valentine was a very romantic person who loved love. He wanted to make people happy, even if it was illegal. So during your Valentine’s Day celebration this year, even if you’re not religious, try and remember why Valentine’s Day was created!! But don’t do anything illegal!

I am a sophomore Marketing Management student at The University of Akron. I enjoy studying math and writing articles while kicking back with some friends and coffee.