Feminist Mother’s Day Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

There’s likely been a point in your life when someone has lifted you up and taught you the strength of being a woman. Whether that was your mother, grandmother, aunt, mentor, or friend, that particular female figure has shown you the embodiment of confidence and self-worth. 

While we should value the impact of the strong women in our lives every day of the year, Mother’s Day is the perfect time to remind that special figure how much you admire them. Phone calls, flowers, and big hugs are essential part of celebrating the day, but if your’re looking for something along the lines of a tangible gift, consider getting a little bit creative.

The woman who taught you to stand tall and follow your dreams deserves an island, but if you can’t quite reach that far, a few feminist-inspired surprises might not be a bad substitute.

Shattered Glass Ceiling Necklace

For the woman who loves jewelry—and smashing the patriarchy—consider this stand-out pendant that honors the triumphs of women throughout history. Not only is it a conversation starter, but it also is a reminder to never settle for limitations.

Michelle Obama Tote Bag

If there’s one woman who has show dignity and grace as a public figure, it’s Michelle Obama. These tote bags are a powerful and fun reminder to live each day with integrity, and the woman in your life who has persevered through adversity will appreciate the inspiration.

Still I Rise Pencils

If you know someone who does a lot of writing, consider gifting them with pencils inscribed with the title of Maya Angelou’s revered poem. They will inspire self-love even in moments of doubt.

‘Welcome All’ Typography Print

If the woman you are celebrating this Mother’s Day has always made you (and others) feel welcome in her home, office, or general presence, this print will recognize the way she fosters tolerance and openness to love.

‘Shero’ Mug

If you know someone who loves her coffee, this mug will be a perfect daily reminder of how all women are superheroes. One glance at this mug, and she’ll be ready to take on whatever the day has in store.

Wine Bottle Stickers

For the woman who you can always rely on to be prepared with an open heart—and an open liquor cabinet—these wine bottle stickers are a fun and creative way to celebrate Mother’s Day.

‘Solidarity’ Women’s March Necklace

Here’s another piece of jewelry for the politically engaged female figure. Inspired by the historic Women’s March this past January, design company Freshie & Zero has crafted this momento in the shape of the recognized ‘pussy hat‘ that became a symbol of the movement. To top (pun intended) it all off, 20% of sales from the necklace will be donated to Ignite, which strives to build “a movement of young women who are ready and eager to become the next generation of political leaders.” 

However you may be celebrating Mother’s Day this year, remember to never take for granted the incredible women in your life who continually pick you up when your down, and who push you to be your best at every turn.

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.