Campus Profile: Delight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Have you ever found yourself longing for closer friends? Friends that you can be vulnerable with, that you can share your problems and burdens with, and they will love and support you all the same? Friends that you can share your love of Christ with? Look no further than University of Akron’s Delight Ministry. I recently interviewed Anna Nyszczy, a student leader for Delight, to gain a little more insight into what Delight really is.

What is Delight?

“Delight is a community of college women rooted in Christ’s love experiencing life together. College is an amazing time, but can most certainly have its ups and downs and so Delight is that steady refuge; a place where girls can relate to one another and find their abounding value in Christ.”

What are weekly meetings like?

“Right now we are in a transitional phase where each night looks a little different, but on any given study night we start off with some type of snack, grab a blanket or a pillow or two, and then spend some time just catching up and getting to know each other. After this we will dive into the story of the week. All the leaders choose to take the lead on stories that they feel called to and so we break each story down a little differently every time. We will finish up with talking about how the story relates to our daily lives and talk about what we can be intentional in praying for in the week ahead.”

What does Delight mean to you?

“For me Delight was the first place that I felt comfortable being vulnerable with others. The fact that I can lay all of my frustration and struggle out in the open and have a group of others to surround me with extravagant love that gleams with Christ’s love still makes me want to pinch myself. Every Friday night when we are in study it is almost as if I can set the weight of school and life down. The girls of Delight have become my dear friends and not only acknowledge that suffering that is weighing me down, but ask to come alongside me and lift me up. It is simply incredible!”

Delight also has a cool program called “Delight Dates”. Every two weeks you are paired up with another girl in the group and you have two weeks to meet up with them and just get to know them. It is a very unique way to make new friends within the group and get to know each other better and more individually. Delight dates can range from going to get coffee or going to a museum to doing laundry together or grocery shopping-anything goes.

Anna expressed her excitement about the upcoming year and the events that are yet to come. An upcoming event is a spiritual yoga night on October 13th. A Christian yoga instructor will be teaching the class and then afterwards there will be chai tea lattes!

Delight is a welcoming group of college women looking to spend more time in a community that shares their love of Christ. Meetings are Friday nights 7pm-9pm in the Student Union room 314. Hope to see you there!

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.