absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Black History Month Feature: Ron Stokes, Owner & CEO of Three Leaf Productions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Black entrepreneurs have made pivotal steps toward success through the American economic landscape. This is evident from famous figures throughout the 18th and 19th centuries that opened up the pathway for other African Americans to pursue their dreams. From James Forten (1776-1852), a leading sailmaker and businessman in Philadelphia, to Madam CJ Walker (1867-1919), one of the first American women to become a self-made millionaire through specialized hair products, to Reginald F. Lewis (1942-1993), the most prominent black businessman in America during the 80’s, hundreds of black individuals have paved the way for future generations to make their marks in the 21st century.

One very influential figure, with his businesses based in central Ohio, has developed a mission to bring cost-saving solutions to customers. Ron Stokes is a Canton, Ohio, native that strives daily to increase customer satisfaction, loyalty, and employee growth and advancement. Not only did he purchase Three Leaf Productions in 2003 and transform it into one of the fastest growing businesses in the state of Ohio, but he also established LARS Properties in 2015, which has grown as one of the fastest up-and-coming property management entities in the central Ohio region.

The road to becoming the CEO and president of his own business started when Stokes was very young. When he was growing up in Canton, he would walk to his elementary school everyday and each time he would pass by a small store that was owned by the parents of a classmate. “It was the first black owned business that I ever saw. I was truly impressed,” he said with nostalgia. “In my mind I said, ‘One day that could be me owning my own company.’”

Stokes would later be accepted to The Ohio State University to play basketball from 1981-85, as well as earn his degree in marketing in 1985. Basketball played a huge roll in developing his teamwork and communications skills. He was voted team caption his junior and senior year, and according to Three-Leaf, “At the completion of his senior season, Ron earned All-Big Ten honors and was voted as the team’s MVP. In the history books, he ranks in the top 35 scoring and in the top 10 assists and steals.”

Personal Photo

Stokes took further steps toward developing his business, printing, and property management skills by working at a mortgage bank, then later at the largest family-owned newspaper in the country, the Columbus Dispatch. According to Supplierty News, “Ron Stokes started out as a salesman for one of the largest family-owned newspaper organizations in Columbus, Ohio. Stokes was really good at his job, finishing in the Top 5 every year for over a decade.” With the help of a mentor, who was also successful with his own business, Stokes was able to develop the structure for his own.

Three-Leaf Productions is a certified minority-owned business that caters to marketing, printing, and media related needs. In 2018, Three-Leaf brought in over $10 million in revenue. Stokes and his wife founded LARS in 2015. Each initial in the acronym LARS represents the first initial of each of their four children. He says, “We wanted to establish a legacy and generational wealth for the future Stokes generations.”

Ron Stokes (left) Lavita stokes (right)

Despite his success, having a black owned business is not a walk in the park. According to the Indianapolis Recorder, “In 2018… African-Americans make up more than 13 percent of the U.S. population but only own 7 percent of the businesses there.” From 2017 to 2018 the number of African American small business owners in the United States had steadily increased by 400 percent, Small Biz Trends reports.  In 2018, Entrepreneur found, “There are nearly 2.6 million African-American owned businesses in the US, and now there are countless platforms, programs, initiatives and conferences in place to support exponential growth.” So why are black owned businesses still struggling to thrive?

Black men and women have faced systematic inequality for hundreds of years. Even when slavery was abolished there were still laws in place against freed slaves that kept them from progressing in society. According to Khan Academy, “Black codes were laws granted certain legal rights to blacks, including the right to marry, own property, and sue in court, but the Codes also made it illegal for blacks to serve on juries, testify against whites, or serve in state militias. The Black Codes also required black sharecroppers and tenant farmers to sign annual labor contracts with white landowners. If they refused they could be arrested and hired out for work.”

Many black Americans lived in poverty and struggled to thrive in the American economic landscape. It wasn’t until the Reconstruction era that lasted from 1865 to 1877 where laws were enforced to protect the rights of blacks so that they could move forward in their lives. Blacks gained the right to vote and work government jobs. People worked hard to become educated and literate. Even after the Civil War, free slaves were promised 40 acres of land and mule. However, the land technically was still owned by the Confederates. National Public Radio states, “The reversal left many African-Americans with few options but to become sharecroppers, often working for former slaveholders.” Black people were still under the power of whites, and this continued through an economic standpoint throughout the 19th century. Discrimination, a wealth gap, and a lack of support from many areas can be a downfall of many black-owned businesses today.

Today, Stokes reflects on what it’s like being a black man in the business world. “Being in business period is very challenging regardless of what your race might be.” It is evident that regardless of race there are vital responsibilities to be held, as well as solid leadership skills to run a company efficiently. As an employer you must make the right decisions to keep the building blocks of your company together and ensure employee well-being.

“Obviously we do not live in a perfect world and unfortunately there is still prejudice and racism in America. There are times where I get frustrated and angry when my company is not chosen for a contract for reasons outside of our capabilities. I use my faith, family and supports systems to assist me to stay balanced and focused,” says Stokes.

With a wide array of accomplishments, Stokes hopes to provide opportunities to any company to work toward keeping a safe, secure, and happy environment for all. If you are happy, and your employees are reaching their own personal goals, then customers will be happy with their services. Three-Leaf aspires to help other businesses grow and tend to every need. Stokes wants to inspire his family and employees to pave a way for future generations. He encourages young people to better themselves through their education and finding a purpose in life. Small Biz Trends states, “With a survey of 2,600 small business owners (both male and female), 62 percent of African American small business owners cited their desire to pursue their passion as the reason for starting a business. Another 53 percent of African American business owners said they were ready to be their own boss, and 30 percent said they decided to become a small business owner because an ’opportunity presented itself.’” Stokes is working toward helping young black youth to follow his footsteps in wanting to own his or her own business.

More black owned businesses are developing throughout the country. Stokes is optimistic for the future of black owned businesses and hopes black men and women will work together to achieve more. “There is strength in numbers, so it very important that we understand that.”

If more people contribute to these businesses and get their names out there, then their success will surely skyrocket. Stokes says, “We must use our influence and network to empower ourselves so we one day can own banks, grocery stores, power plants, pharmacies and many other categories that we are currently not a part of that are in our local communities.”

Learn more about Three-Leaf Productions here and LARS Properties here.

I graduated from the University of Akron in 2019 majoring in Communications of Public Relations with a minor in Biology. Aspiring writer/journalist for wildlife conservation. (She/Her)
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.