This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Fruit infused water has been my go to for awhile now. I like the refreshing taste and the health benefits that come with it. In my next article I will share some of my favorite recipes. For now, here are some health benefits from  drinking fruit infused water.

Helps You Drink More Water

Infusing your water with fruit makes the water taste better (or at the very least more interesting). This will potentially lead to greater water consumption. Why is that good? Well to put it simply; drinking more water will benefit every cell in your body. More specifically, your skin and digestive system will thank you. 

Provides Nutrition

Another benefit is the nutritional value added to the water through fruit infusion. According to The Berkey, “Some research proposes that around 20 percent of the vitamins and nutrients in chosen fruits and vegetables might be absorbed when immersed in water for two or three hours or left overnight.“ Yes, you can eat vegetables and get 100% of the nutrients and you absolutely should. This just is a way to get some additional nutrition from drinking water.

Hydrates Better Than Regular Water

Electrolytes are minerals that assist in water absorption (think Gatorade). Fruits HAVE electrolytes. Therefore, if you put electrolytes in  your water; the water is more effective in hydrating you.

Weight Management/Loss

Replacing sugary drinks with fruit infused water will cut calories and reduce sugar intake.This can help you maintain your weight or even lose weight depending on how many sugary drinks you cut back on. It also can be effective to cut back on snacking because sometimes as humans we just want to be doing something with our mouths. Some smoke, some snack, you could drink fruit infused water. 

If any of these health benefits sound appealing; stayed tuned for my favorite fruit combinations.(It’s a lot of cucumber.)