This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

The semester is winding down and most of us are prepping for finals, but this time we’ll be taking studying and taking exams from home. If you’re anything like me, working from home on your laptop can be very difficult. Despite the adjustments you may have to make, there are plenty of ways to make working from home easier and more enjoyable while still prioritizing you. Here are some tips for working on your classes from home while keeping yourself healthy and happy.

Find a Workspace…Just Not Your Bed

While this may seem like an easy task, it can be extremely hard to want to get out of bed in the morning when you don’t actually have to go anywhere. Finding a workspace that ISN’T your bed is very important; you shouldn’t try to get things done in the same place that you go to relax! Try finding a quiet space in your house where you can stay focused (think about working outside if you are able)! Having a specific spot ensures that you can get your work done efficiently and spend more time where you really want to be…bed!

Plan Regular Work Times

Having a routine helps me to get things done more efficiently and be less stressed, and switching to online classes can make this a lot harder. Planning certain times during your week to work can help make the transition from in-person to online classes easier. Consider working on homework and lessons for classes during the time block that you would normally meet for in-person classes. If this doesn’t work, take the opportunity to create your own dream class schedule!

Get Organized

Although this tip still applies when you are taking classes in-person, it is dangerously easy to lose track of assignments when classes are online! To help me stay organized, I use a planner that has weekly spreads to make sure that I am keeping track of everything I need to do—and when it needs to be turned in. Checking your school email and class pages daily can also help ensure that you don’t miss any announcements or updates from your professors!

Find Study Methods to Suit Your Needs

Knowing and experimenting with your learning style can be a very helpful and fun way to enhance your online class experience. If staring at an online textbook is difficult for you, try printing it out or taking 15 minute breaks. Having trouble understanding a concept that your professor is explaining verbally? Try looking up a video explanation on YouTube. If you don’t know your learning style and want to find out, follow this link and take the quiz while you’re on a study break! To find more new methods for studying and online learning, try Pinterest or ask your friends what their strategies are!

Know Your Limits

Getting lost in your work can be very easy to do, so make sure that you aren’t overworking yourself! Know your limits as far as how much you can do and how long you can work for. Also, for less stress, make sure that you are prepared and start assignments in a timely manner to avoid procrastination. Set a timer and make sure that you are taking breaks, eating meals, getting exercise, going outside, and taking care of yourself!

Stay Hydrated

This may seem like an obvious tip, and one that seems unrelated to classes and homework, but staying hydrated helps your brain function and performance more than you realize. If you have trouble staying hydrated like me, try carrying a water bottle wherever you go, using a cup with a straw, or flavor your water. Also, be sure to drink some water during your work breaks. Drinking nothing but redbull and coffee may seem like a good way to keep your brain going, but dehydrating yourself won’t help at all. Keeping yourself healthy and making sure your brain is ready for schoolwork are two things that drinking water can help you achieve!

Alexandra, also known as Alex, is a freshman criminal intelligence analysis major at the University of Akron. In her free time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, reading, and running. Alex's favorite things to write are listicles or reviews/recommendations.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.