This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

From the Hunger Games to The Purge, ideas of what horrors the future may hold has created some great cinema. The futuristic thriller genre takes issues from today, such as overpopulation, disease, and corrupt governments, and creates creepily realistic scenarios. These 5 Netflix films are a must-see for fans of this genre.

What Happened to Monday (2017)

Due to overpopulation, a one-child policy is legally enforced by the government. Children with siblings are ripped from their families and put into “cryo-sleep” where they are said to remain until the world has the issue under control. A group of identical septuplets must pretend to be the same woman in order to survive.

Day Breakers (2009)

After the majority of the world become vampires, humans are hunted and farmed for their blood. As the demand for blood grows and the human population shrinks, the race for finding a nonhuman blood alternative becomes essential. A hematologist works to put a stop to the cruel farmings of humans and finds himself face to face with what could be the cure.

Lobster (2015)

In this futuristic thriller, adults must have a partner or they are turned into the animal of their choice. After being left by his wife, a man named David is escorted to a singles hotel where he has 45 days to find someone. If he is still single when his time is up, he will spend the rest of his life as a lobster.

I Am Legend (2007)

What was thought to be the cure to cancer ends up turning the majority of the population into flesh-eating mutants. The world’s last hope is a US Army virologist who lives in an empty New York racing the clock to find a cure. 

Freaks

A young girl with special powers must live in solitude to be protected from a government that wants to eliminate people like her. Her father does his best to teach her to hide her powers and so one day she may live like a normal person.