This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Move over Valentine’s Day. There’s a new holiday centered around love: Galentine’s Day! Originally created in 2010 as part of beloved sitcom, Parks and Rec, this holiday dedicated to celebrating the love of female friendships on February 13th has taken on a life of its own. Love can take many forms, and it’s so important to take time to recognize these relationships. Social distancing has put a stop to many of the Valentine’s Day and Galentine’s Day celebrations, but watching a movie with friends that you live with or safely online with an extension like Teleparty is a safe way to celebrate the love that keeps all of us going. Here are five movies all featuring strong, female friendships to watch at your social distancing Galentine’s Day!

9 to 5

9 to 5‘ is a classic 1980 dark comedy starring Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and the Dolly Parton shows the bond between these three very different women as they put their sexist boss in his place. Described as “radical” by Rolling Stone and as “revenge fantasy for women who felt overworked, underpaid and disrespected” by NPR, this feminist piece of art is a Galentine’s Day must-see and its classic theme, “9 to 5” sung by Dolly Parton herself needs to be heard.

Watch on Hulu

Queen

Receiving a glowing review from the Times of India and starring the incredible Kangana Ranaut, ‘Queen‘, a film about a young woman from Delhi who is dumped by her fiance the day before their wedding is a perfect Galentine’s Day flick. Ranaut’s Rani or Queen heads out on her honeymoon in Paris and Amsterdam all on her own and will leave you wishing for your own European adventure. The focus on self-love, growth, and the unconventional friendships with the people you meet along the way makes this one of my new favorite movies.

Watch on Netflix

Hidden Figures

Hidden Figures‘ was named one of the top movies of 2016 by the National Board of Review and was “based on the untold true story” chronicles the experiences of Dorothy Vaughn, Mary Jackson, and Katherine Johnson, Black, female mathematicians working for NASA during the 1960s space race. The talented Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae, and Taraji P. Henson brings to the screen their awe-inspiring stories and their contribution to American history. Just one fantastic element of this movie, the women’s friendship shows how impactful the relationships in our life can be and how necessary their support is

Watch on Disney+

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants‘ is a 2005 teen flick that may have had all of us at first wishing for a magically-fitting pair of jeans, but having a close knit group of friends to share them is what makes this film truly magical. A classic throwback for your Galentine’s Day crew, this film, described as “always sweet and sometimes surprisingly touching” by Roger Ebert shows off the friendships of Blake Lively, America Ferrera, Alexis Bledel, and Amber Tamblyn’s Bridget, Carmen, Lena, and Tibby, respectively, as they spend their first summer alone. 

Watch on HBOMax

Mamma Mia!

While a romance with three men and a young couple’s love story may have been the foundation for this movie musical, the bonds that tie the life-long friendship of Donna, Tanya, and Rosie really stole the show and made this 2008 show-stopper an instant classic. ‘Mamma Mia!‘ features many ABBA hits such as “Money, Money, Money” and “Dancing Queen” that will have you and your girlfriends, at the very least, humming along, if not dreaming of living on your very own Greecian island.

Watch on Peacock

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.