This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

This year is my first year moving out of the campus dorms into an apartment. I am overjoyed to be able to decorate and hang out in a larger space with roommates and friends! I also have the ability to experiment a little more with cooking and baking rather than having a campus meal plan. So, here are some fun, decorative things to look for a first apartment:

test0FBAF7AA 0472 4F04 ACB3 41EC126B1F40?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

1.) Wall Tapestry

This decoration piece has the ability to add some brightness to the room and style. Try to find something that works with the color of the furniture and space while adding some creative flourishes.

2.) Coffee Table

A decent-sized coffee table offers someplace nice to set your drinks or books while watching TV or chilling on the couch. It also offers a great informal space for board games with friends. Coffee tables don’t have to be overly expensive either and finding a second-hand table in good condition is another option for a tight budget.

3.) Mason Jars

I like the picnic aesthetic that mason jars bring, whether it serves as glasses for lemonade, tea, or water or even as a way to contain cereal or ingredients. Mason jars are an interesting choice for decorative kitchenware.

4.) Wall Stickers

Easy-to-peel and inexpensive, wall stickers can be a simple but effective way to add some color and design to your space. I found some for my apartment from Dollar Tree.

5.) Pillows

Decorative Pillows can be a great way to add to your furniture’s comfort and also the color scheme of the room.

Overall, whether you are moving into your first apartment or your tenth, I hope you can find these few decorative and eye-catching items for your special space. Happy searching! :)

Emily is excited to be a part of the Akron chapter of Her Campus. She is majoring in English and minoring in Converged Media Studies. She is also working toward a Certificate in Professional Social Media. Emily enjoys drinking tea, decorating, and spending time with her family. Her favorite motto / quote to live by is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."