5 Blood-Curdling Classics to Get You in the Halloween Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Do you love the mounting tension of a mystery? What about a chilling twist? Check out these haunting classics:

1. “The Tell-Tale Heart” by Edgar Allen Poe

Poe does not shy away from the darker parts of humanity and chooses to see the story through the eyes of the perpetrator of a crime. “The Tell-Tale Heart” diagnoses the human heart and its struggle with guilt and the fear of revelation. This short story will pick you up mid-action and leave you wanting more.

1. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

We all know the skeptical sleuth Sherlock Holmes and his faithful companion Dr. John Watson. In this spell-binding tale, the duo is seemingly separated from one another. It is up to Dr. Watson to collect data and report to a distant Holmes about a mysterious family case concerning a giant hound.

1. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

If you want to get swept up into a tale as old as time then this musical mystery novel is for you! Follow the exploration of obsession and isolation within the deep chambers of a French opera house where a ghost is rumored to dwell…and kill.

1. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The story of Frankenstein’s monster has permeated our culture, but where did the story start? Check out the story’s origin in Shelley’s chilling tale of a murderous creature and its creator who seeks forbidden knowledge.

1. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells

The unknown is often the most unnerving, and that also includes the unseen. The Invisible Man follows yet another human experiment where a man gains the ability to make himself imperceptible…and dangerous.

1. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

In this mind-bending novel, Dr. Jekyll is involved with a strange personage named Mr. Hyde. It is up to Jekyll’s friend Utterson to unravel this enigma.

Emily is excited to be a part of the Akron chapter of Her Campus. She is majoring in English and minoring in Converged Media Studies. She is also working toward a Certificate in Professional Social Media. Emily enjoys drinking tea, decorating, and spending time with her family. Her favorite motto / quote to live by is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."