4 Facts You May Not Have Known About the Philippines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.
  1. We Have a Filipino Version of McDonald’s Called Jollibee

Although it started off as an ice cream shop, the founder, Tan Caktiong felt like having it as an ice cream parlor wasn’t good enough for business so he decided to change it up to a fast food chain.  The most popular item on the menu is the Chickenjoy, also known as fried chicken.  What I recommend is the Jolly Spaghetti. The states in the US that have Jollibee are Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.  

1. The Display of the Flag Determines In What State the Country is in

The Filipino flag has the colors of yellow, white, blue and red.  The yellow stars symbolize the three major islands of the Philippines which are Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao.  White focuses on equality, liberty and fraternity, while the blue represents peace, truth and justice and the red stands for patriotism and valor.  To be able to know if The Philippines is at a state of war, the red side will be on top.  

1. The Philippines has about 7,641 islands 

As many islands they have in The Philippines, 2,000 are inhabited, while the rest remain unnamed.  Luzon is the biggest island in the country with it being the fifteenth largest island in the world.  According to a 2020 census, the population of Luzon was said to be around 62,196,942.  

1. Jeepneys are the Most Common Form of Public Transportation

After World War II, when the American military left the Philippines, they left behind these transportation vehicles called Willys Jeep.  Filipinos then started recycling them and adding designs and more pieces to the vehicle so it can be more suitable for up to the 20 passengers it can hold today.  Although there are a multiple of forms of transportation to get around in the country, Jeepneys can get you to your destination for the cheapest price.  Prices vary in different parts of the Philippines but in Manila, it costs about 8 pesos ($0.16 cents) for a 2.5 mile ride.  

Chey C

Akron '24

Chey is in her junior year at Akron studying History along with having a minor in English. Activities she enjoys doing is traveling, shopping and hanging out with friends.