This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

This week is all about Halloween, and what’s Halloween without costumes? Instead of giving you the most popular costumes, I’m presenting you with costumes from those forgotten moments from our childhood. Let’s go!

Destiny’s Child – 2000

I know no one forgot about Destiny’s Child, I just wanted to start with something iconic to ease into the craziness that’s about to ensue. Tease that hair girl!

Britney and Justin in Denim – 2001

Full denim… dress and suit? That’s all sorts of uncomfortable to me. But seriously, I completely forgot about this AMA red carpet moment. As for Britney and Justin… it’s almost as if they were never a thing. I’m now stuck second guessing my memories.

Creed – 2002

Remember that Creed Bratton from The Office is really a musician? Whether you’re inspired by his business persona or musicianship, don’t forget the slyness.

NCIS Characters – 2003

I don’t know about you, but I need the latest seasons on Netflix ASAP. I used to watch this show all of the time with my parents, and what better way to honor the year it aired than to dress up like Abbey or Tony?

Friends – 2004

Friends may have been a staple of the 90s, but I bet you forgot that it came to an end in 2004. Style your hair with the best Rachel energy you can muster and bring your best five friends along for the night.

The Black Eyed Peas – 2005

Do you guys remember them? Will.I.Am has been staying busy, but I haven’t thought about this music group in years. I suggest borrowing a look from one of their iconic album covers.

Nanny McPhee – 2006

I was actually freaked out by this movie as a kid because I didn’t understand the makeup. However, it’s perfect now that so many people are into special effects makeup. It’s all I see on socials around Halloween. Have a long black dress handy?

Shrek the Third – 2007

Shrek is love and Shrek is life, but the third movie? I can’t remember a single scene. You probably already have a Shrek costume though, right? Perfect.

Zoey 101 – 2008

2008 was the year it was announced Zoey 101 would come to an end due to Jamie Lynn Spears’ pregnancy. Did you know she has two kids now? I think there’s a third in the way as well. For Halloween, DIY a PCA shirt!fl

Farmville – 2009

FarmVille was launched on Facebook in 2009. This costume is simple. Dress as a farmer, but brand an item of clothing with the word FarmVille using fabric paint. Did you play FarmVille?

Zombie – 2010

This year was an iconic year. The beginning of a new decade, it brought us Lady Gaga’s meat dress. It was hard to pick, but I think we kind of all forgot about everyone’s huge zombie phase. Tear up some old clothes, white face powder, and fake blood to chase for some Walking Dead cosplay. 

I am a senior Environmental Science and Anthropology double-major at The University of Akron. I love science, Starbucks, writing, and hanging out with my friends and my dogs. I also love music and am apart of The University of Akron’s marching band.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.