Which Fruits and Veggies Have the Most Pesticides?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Nutritionists, health magazines, signs in the grocery store, your mom… There are increasing outlets that advise eating organic foods, particularly organic fruits and veggies. In theory, most of us probably know it’s healthier to do this, but why exactly is it better? 

Fruit and veggies that aren’t organic, considered conventionally-raised, are sprayed with pesticides throughout all stages of their development. These toxic chemicals enter our bodies when we eat the produce. Exposure to pesticides has been linked to neurological issues such as Parkinson’s disease, cancers including lymphoma, leukemia, breast, prostate, liver, and pancreatic caner, and even birth defects. So when all is said and done, the pesticides used in conventionally-raised produce can cause harmfully high levels of toxic chemicals in your body and it’s safer to avoid them. 

It’s easier said than done though. Eat Organic! OK, well my cafeteria doesn’t serve organic food and it’s way too expensive to buy my own organic fruits and veggies. What now?

Well, here are a few lists that should help you out. 

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) included these lists on their annual “Shoppers Guide to Pesticides.” The Dirty Dozen are foods that are highly contaminated with pesticides. You should try to avoid these unless they are organic. The Clean Fifteen, however, typically are just fine to eat even if they aren’t organic.

The Dirty Dozen for 2013

Apples

Celery

Cherry tomatoes

Cucumbers

Grapes

Hot peppers

Nectarines (imported) 

Peaches

Potatoes

Spinach

Strawberries

Sweet bell peppers

Dirty Dozen Plus: Kale/collard greens and Summer squash 

The Clean Fifteen for 2013

Asparagus

Avocados

Cabbage

Cantaloupe

Sweet corn

Eggplant

Grapefruit

Kiwi

Mangoes

Mushrooms

Onions

Papayas

Pineapples

Sweet peas (frozen) 

Sweet potatoes