Remaining Vigilant in the Face of Adversity: Words of Encouragement and Reflection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

In the face of recent events, I know that many people on campus – and off – are feeling failed, discouraged, and confused. It is important in this time to take a moment, maybe a day or two, to process what many today are considering a significant loss. After we allow ourselves time to handle our emotions, it is our responsibility to maintain the fight against what many believe is an enormous step back in American history.

The election of Donald Trump has revealed the shocking progress that is still yet to be made, making the ideological divides of our country much more apparent. Regardless of your support or denial of Trump’s suitability for Office, I think it is safe to say that we all have work to do to heal the deep separations that this presidential election has brought to the forefront of our daily lives. Instead of becoming discouraged and frustrated, we must remain vigilant in the fight to obtain equality, respect, and dignity for all in our country. Now, more than ever, is the time to stay awake and energized in the effort to defend our beliefs and let our voices be heard.

Be an individual activist. No matter what your beliefs, this is a time of heightened social and political tension where you must make both your words and your actions stand on their own. It is important that we jump on this moment immediately and never rest in our confrontation of what we believe to be wrong and our struggle for what we feel is necessary. Our generation has been privileged to see an African American President hold two terms of office and a woman come incredibly close to becoming the President of the United States, things some people could only dream of seeing in their lifetimes. We have grown up witnessing incredible progress and taking part in history that many generations before us spent their whole lives working towards. For both them and for ourselves, it is vital to speak out against what we perceive as wrong and give power to the words of those who have long been ignored and marginalized.

Do not forget that you are not alone. The closeness of this election demonstrates the millions of people who are able to make change. Find the community that supports you and lifts you up. That is where you will find solidarity, motivation, and support in the most discouraging times. Many are joking, or seriously considering, fleeing the country. That, I believe, is the coward’s way out. Do not flee from the problem that you could be instrumental in changing. Now, more than ever, is the time to stay and fight for what you believe in. By finding support and kinship with others, we will be able to put up a powerful defense. The most effective tool we have is each other.

So, take your day to process, to “mourn” if you have to, but tomorrow, continue the strong fight for what you believe is good.

Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.