neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Instagramming Kennedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Meet the lovely, Kennedy Smith ‘19, an Art History major with a minor in German. She is a social media expert and is always vocalizing important social issues of our times along with sharing the occasional meme. Additionally, her charming personality shows through her passion of engaging with serious matters. Just recently, Kennedy attended the Women’s March in DC on January 21st. Here are some of her thoughts from the experience and a peek into her lifestyle.

HC: I read your wonderful article on your experience attending the Women’s March in DC. So how did you find out about this march?

KS: My friend and I kind of stuck together after the election, and would meet every Saturday to kind of go over ways to get through the next four years in terms of being a part of the “resistance” and having our foot in it somehow. So basically we contacted the Dean of Students with some ideas, one of them being getting some of us to the march, but she was already a step ahead of us. At that time, no one had a permit to even make the march a real thing!

HC: What was the most inspiring thing you saw there?

KS: It would have to be after resting in a food court for a long time. We walked to the White House and along the fence in front of the WH were thousands of signs going all the way down the fence until I couldn’t even see the fence anymore. No sign, in particular, inspired me but all of them together left there for him to see, through social media or in person, was inspiring.

HC: What do you think that others can do if they are unable to attend marches/protests?

KS: Calling your local representative is awkward and hard, but they literally work for you so you should use them to speak about what matters to you. Also, social media is important! Fake news is a thing, but also I wouldn’t have known anything about the Dakota Pipeline if it wasn’t for social media! I wouldn’t have been able to donate, which is also important. Volunteering for programs that matter to you (e.g. Human Rights Campaign, Planned Parenthood, etc) is another way to raise awareness!

HC: Thank you for that! Those are some very helpful tips, and as you mentioned social media is very important. So what are some ways people can use their social media accounts to effectively display issues like these?

KS: I think it’s more about reposting things than actually posting things. Like, sharing videos or pictures of people at the DAPL where big news media’s don’t address it. Also, sometimes there are images of just phone numbers for things. For instance, the day after the election there was a post circulating with numbers for suicide hotlines. It’s important to pass those things around, and of course, if you know the original creator, giving them credit. Sometimes, simply having an image of art and then explaining how you feel about something in the caption is helpful. I’m the type to always read captions, but some people aren’t though!

HC: Reposting than posting, got it. Now time for some less serious questions. Favorite problematic person?

KS: I felt a little hiccup in my heart. Marlon Brando, the love of my life, allegedly was an abuser. So obviously I had to break up with him, but every time I see a picture of him, I hear Lana Del Rey music playing in the background like old times. He literally died in like 2008 at maybe 90. I was late to loving him.

HC: I fact-checked and he passed away in 2004 at the age of 80, it’s okay. What’s your goal for 2017?

KS: I want to say hopefully going to Switzerland for my study abroad, but also help save the world! Global warming and also the current political climate are both freaking me out!

HC: You must tell us your study abroad experience when you come back! Favorite social media outlet?

KS: I want to be down with Tumblr again but I just haven’t gotten back into it. I love Instagram because I love photography and I think it is taken the most seriously on Instagram. Twitter I love because it simply makes me laugh, and Facebook is great for articles. So I guess the winner is Instagram!

HC: Can leggings be pants, if worn appropriately?

KS: YES. I literally have on leggings right now, I wish I only had leggings.

HC: Our time has come to an end, last question favorite book?

KS: That’s such a hard question. If I must pick, then the Maze Runner by James Dashner!

Thank you so much, Kennedy, for taking the time to speak with me! I wish you all the best with your journeys in Switzerland!

Syedha Noreenia

Agnes Scott '19

(she/her/hers) is a senior Political Science major and a Business Management minor. Originally born in Brooklyn, New York, Syedha has been raised in Atlanta and proudly calls both cities home along with her parents' motherland of Pakistan. Through her degree, she believes in empowerment/representation and fighting for social justice through analyzing organizational behavior. She enjoys coming up with Instagram captions, infiltrating the system, and spending money that she doesn't have on food.
MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/