This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

The least we can say about 2016 is that it has been interesting. Above all, this year is also an election year. So what can we expect in the midst of this madness with all other foreign countries looking at us to see who we decide to be our president for the next four years to come? All eyes are on us to see whether we choose for the U.S. to have their first female President or another man with controversial ideas. So–who are you voting for on November 8th?

When Hillary Clinton was chosen as the democratic nominee for the U.S. Election, the hashtag “#GirlIGuessImWithHer” went viral, poking fun at Clinton’s offcial slogan, “#ImWithHer.” The hashtag was created by most of Senator Bernie Sanders’ supporters, who were left with no choice but to support Clinton after she won the nomination. Many of Clinton’s supporters, prior to her receiving the nomination, said that they are ready for the U.S. to have their first female president. But are they completely ignoring what she stands for and are instead looking at her gender as an excuse to vote for her?

We all are well aware of the fact that America has a gender equality issue, especially when it comes to equal pay opportunity. Women in the United States have to work incredibly harder than their male counterparts, which is a harsh reality to face. However, should we as young women vote for her just because she is a woman, without realizing the issues Clinton stands with? Many of the individuals that do want to vote for her because of her gender claim to be feminists. However voting for her simply on that factor is not at all what feminism means. Voting for a presidential candidate should be based on their credibility.

According to an online magazine, Politico, writes “surely Team Clinton has noticed that women, particularly younger women, aren’t really all that jazzed about the prospect of Madam President.” Young women like us college students fall into that category. We won’t settle for a nominee just because she is our sae gender. Another article written by the LA Times entitled, “Why young feminists are choosing Bernie Sanders over Hillary Clinton”, states, “For young Democrats, getting a woman in the Oval Office has not ranked as high on the priority list as putting Wall Street or the giant health insurance companies in their place.” Her gender does not concern our vote. We want to have full confidence in her ability to lead this country.

Many of us may have been jokingly saying for a while now that “I’m moving to Canada,” realistically knowing we will not be crossing that border to Canada with Justin Trudeau greeting us at the airport (although that would be nice). But whether we like it or not, it’s important for us to play our roles in being citizens and exercisie our right to vote. Our choice may be slim, but it is our freedom and duty to do so. Have you been part of the #ImWithHer or are you jumping on board to the #GirlIGuessImWithHer trend? 

Syedha Noreenia

Agnes Scott '19

(she/her/hers) is a senior Political Science major and a Business Management minor. Originally born in Brooklyn, New York, Syedha has been raised in Atlanta and proudly calls both cities home along with her parents' motherland of Pakistan. Through her degree, she believes in empowerment/representation and fighting for social justice through analyzing organizational behavior. She enjoys coming up with Instagram captions, infiltrating the system, and spending money that she doesn't have on food.