Five Reasons Why You Need To Read Jurassic Park As Soon As Possible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

If you have yet to experience the the thrilling sci-fi/horror novel: Jurassic Park, then you’re living a life full of chaos. This iteration of the story will have you on the edge of your seat with every turn of the page. Haven’t convinced you yet? Here are five reasons you should read Jurassic Park as soon as possible:

1) Michael Crichton is an icon

Whether you are a dinosaur or science fiction aficionado, or perhaps just enjoy Jeff Goldblum’s quirky realism, you may, like me, enjoy the Jurassic Park movie franchise and possibly binge them on Netflix every time they are available. The real hero isn’t Sam Neill or Laura Dern, but the man behind their fantastic characters: Michael Crichton.

Not everyone knows that yes, there’s a book to Jurassic Park, (actually there are two,) and yes, they did come before the movie, and in my personal opinion, are far superior. So why haven’t you heard of them?

Again and again I have heard countless English teachers and fellow students discredit works of science fiction, labeling books about dinosaurs, aliens, and androids far fetched and unintellectual. They do not see the social commentary, shredding up our comfortable illusions, our feeling of false security, illuminating the flaws in human nature, the failings of ethics in both religion and science alike. Few are able to look at the fantastically graphic scenes of horror and violence and realize these imaginary worlds are not all that distant from our own, rather based directly on it.

In my mind, Michael Crichton is the most influential science fiction author in popular culture, his only plausible challenger being Philip K. Dick (someone else I would strongly recommend you check out). As a medical doctor, teacher, and author, as well as a screenplay writer, producer, and director, Crichton has been the man behind some of the greatest sci-fi horror books and films, not only for their epic action scenes but for the strong warnings to our society they bear. Over his lifetime Crichton wrote Andromeda Strain, Congo, Sphere, State of Fear, Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park: Lost World, Timeline, Westworld and Next just to name a few of my favorites.

2) You haven’t heard the whole story

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton is not merely a one dimensional plot line following an assortment of scientists, two kids, and a British guy being chased by a tyrannosaurus rex and some velociraptors on a beautiful, mythical island off the coast of Costa Rica. Looking at the big picture, this is a story about mankind playing god, going against the laws of nature using science that isn’t actually very far fetched at all, all in the name of commercialism. Crichton goes beyond questioning the limits of what is possible; he assures us that we can do it, but asks us if we should do it, for the most part through the form of Ian Malcolm, a character Crichton based off of himself.

Whether or not you have seen the 1993 movie, or one of its many sequels, there is value in reading the novel. First of all, without spoiling any major plot points, some of the most thrilling scenes (and dinosaurs) in the book did not make it into the movie due to time restraints and special effect limitations. There are pteranodon attacks, a vicious teenage T-rex, and an entire nest of velociraptors. Also, for reasons unbeknownst to me, a completely different set of characters makes it out alive in the original story (I’m not going to spill the tea about who, you’ll just have to read it). Nedry, a.k.a. Newman from Seinfeld in the film, also has a much more, uh, graphic death scene. If you have any admiration or respect for Hammond, don’t. That opinion is likely to change a chapter into the novel. By the end you might be on the dinosaurs’ side.

3) The book is more realistic

We all know that friend who thinks Jurassic Park is just plain dumb. I have been mansplained plenty of times about why “the dinosaurs wouldn’t have gotten out if blah blah blah” and complaints of “the T-rex wouldn’t eat that much”.

Listen, Michael Crichton did his research. Not only did he strive to make the dinosaurs as accurate as possible, he strove to have good science behind their resurrection.

As Crichton said in an interview with Southwest Airlines’ Spirit magazine in 1993, “I had some concern that they might dislike it because it was critical of biotechnology…My ideas in that book was to suggest that we shouldn’t make dinosaurs. And theirs was, ‘Why not?’ And the first person, a very famous biotechnologist, read it and put the book down and said, ‘It can be done!’ and got excited. There’s actually been a fair amount of research that’s been promoted or stimulated by the book.”

4) The book is significantly scarier

If I elaborated, I would spoil the most chilling parts and you wouldn’t have to put in the work to actually read it, but I have three words for you: death by compies. The villain characterization is also on point (dinosaur and human) as well as their fates. Justice is always served at Jurassic Park. For example, Dodgson, a character only briefly introduced in the first film in a rather comical scene, is actually a terrifying and ruthless foe in the written works. It would be nothing less than vicious to rob you of the delight of finding out what happens to him.

5) Badass women

Although Laura Dern really rocks the eighties-cut khaki shorts and graces the foolish men with her knowledge like the badass she is, women play a much larger role in the books. Dr. Sattler is not romantically involved with Dr. Grant or any other man in the story. Better yet Lex Murphy is not the screaming, teenage cry-baby depicted in the movies. In the book she loves sports not computers and is significantly younger than her brother who is said to be eleven.

Don’t get me started about Sarah Harding in Jurassic Park: The Lost World. She is an actual legend who can run with hyenas and save Malcolm’s life every five minutes. Again there is no real romantic plot underneath this story, Crichton only briefly mentions that they were formally in a relationship.

Ultimately, Jurassic Park is a thrilling and compelling story that you have to read to believe. I dare you to venture to a place where dinosaurs still roam the earth and humans are the ones in danger of going extinct, and of course, where life uh, finds a way.

Lila Holland

Agnes Scott '22

Lila Holland was born and raised in Columbia, South Carolina. Passions and hobbies include fashion, speech and debate, mock trial, crafting, creative writing, advocating for eating disorder and anxiety awareness and treatment, and her bearded dragon Mushu and pit mix Rocky. After graduating the International Baccalaureate program at Irmo High School in 2018 she left to Attend Agnes Scott College. She is currently a Junior Majoring in Political Science, minoring in philosophy. She hopes to bring a serious, relevant, and informative aspect to Her Campus.