5 Fantastic Films to Watch on Kanopy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

While McCain Library’s vaulted ceilings and arched windows provide beautiful study spots and its shelves leave us at no loss for books, the library also offers students an extensive collection of online films. With their access to the library, students may also enjoy a wide selection of thoughtful films through the streaming service Kanopy. Any member of the Agnes Scott library, and many other public library systems, can access Kanopy with their library card. Ranging from cultural documentaries to film festival picks to cult classics, Kanopy holds an impressive collection of free films. Here are just a few to get you started. 

I Am Not Your Negro (2016)

In this Oscar-nominated documentary, filmmaker Raoul Peck visualizes the incomplete work of James Baldwin, pulling from the original text of Baldwin’s uncompleted manuscript Remember This House. The documentary combines Baldwin’s own unpublished words with incredibly compelling historical media, crafting a beautiful reflection of the lives and assassinations of Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr., and Medgar Evers, as well as a profound examination of race in America. It has been internationally recognized as a vitally important documentary, winning over a dozen awards worldwide and receiving numerous more nominations. Spanning from the Civil Rights Movement to Black Lives Matter, I Am Not Your Negro speaks incredible truths to both the history and the present state of race in America.

Kedi (2016)

This lovely documentary provides glimpses of the lives of seven street cats who navigate the streets and communities of Istanbul, a city brimming with hundreds of thousands of roaming cats. While the premise may not seem immediately engaging (unless you just love cats), the film is skillfully crafted and captures an aspect of the city life that may be easily overlooked. Intimate scenes and curiously told stories unfold into a larger narrative of the deeply loving relationship between humans of the city and animals that may be commonly regarded as urban vermin in other cultures. The documentary may be consumed all at once, or watched in snippets for those who just wish to see wonderfully uplifting moments for a change. This meditation on beautifully meaningful relationships between humans and felines provides images of unexpected intimacy and hope that some may find deeply comforting.

Hick (2012)

Content warning: Sexual Violence and Domestic Abuse/Violence

Absurdly dramatic and at times verging on kitsch, Hick is the tale of a young teen (played by Chloë Grace Moretz) who gets her hands on a gun and decides to hitchhike her way to Las Vegas, crossing path with two unsavory drifters who guide her into heaps of trouble. Driven by alcohol, irresponsibility, and fiery words, the plot should be appreciated for its ridiculous drama and over-acted Southern accents. Hick is a great watch for anybody searching for an exciting, emotional, and at times comedic indie film.

Donnie Darko (2001)

Almost beyond explanation, this cult classic is a perfect choice for those looking for an unsettling watch for the spooky month of October. The highly-acclaimed film follows Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllenhaal), a darkly troubled teen who begins receiving doomsday predictions from a grotesque rabbit-like figure. In a series of visions, Donnie is guided by the figure to perform a variety of odd acts and unpredictable behaviors. In a confusing muddle of warped time, psychological manipulations, and disturbing happenings, the movie ends with an unsettling conclusion. Many theories have been concocted to explain the twists and turns of the film, but the ingenious plot is something to be beheld for oneself.

From Flint: Voices of a Poisoned City (2016)

When news of the Flint, Michigan water crisis flooded into headlines and dominated our news feeds it was almost impossible to escape the thought of it. Now, even as news outlets have left the story behind and national voices of outrage have quieted, the people of Flint continue to grapple with the effects the public health disaster has had on their community. This impactful documentary, created by Michigan State University students, features the voices of the people who experience its impact firsthand, as well as the stories of those who worked tirelessly to keep their community intact in the hardest moments. It documents the incredible health and economic challenges that the community faced, as well as the aftermath of the public outcry, including the indictment of several government officials. The film gives an amazingly resilient face to the people who fought through a barrage of government cover-ups to find for themselves, their families, and the community of Flint. Falling just under 25 minutes, From Flint is a short but amazingly informative and powerful collection of stories that tell the intimately personal narrative of the Flint crisis.

Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.