Working Out In A Crunch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

The end of the semester is approaching and before we all know it, it’s the part of the semester that every collegiate dreads- finals week. When bombarded with exams, papers, presentations, projects, and more, working out and staying in shape can (and most likely will) get pushed to the backburner and become the least of your worries. Here are some easy on-the-go workouts that you can sneak into your daily rountine to keep your body in check!

1. Planks

This may seem a little crazy, but you can actually do planks while multi-tasking (been there, done that). Plop your laptop in front of you on the floor or place your study sheets underneath you while you do this exercise. Not only will you be tightening your dominant core muscles, but a distraction will keep your mind off of the burn.

2. Stairs

This may seem like a no-brainer, but you wouldn’t believe how many people don’t think twice before taking the elevator because that’s what they’re accustomed to. Unless you have a joint/medical problem that prevents you from climbing the stairs, you’d be surprised about how a short five minutes on the stairs can really make a difference as the days go on.

3. Squats

This is an easy, stationary exercise that can literally be done anywhere at anytime. You would be surprised about how quickly you can do 50 squats and how much of a difference that they can make in your lower body muscles. Studying? Great! Use your textbook as a weight for additional resistance.

4. Go for a walk

This may been like another no-brainer, but you’d be surprised about how few college students see the daylight during finals week. Most refine themselves to the solitary confinement of their dorm rooms or the library cubicle. Don’t forget that the weather is getting warmer outside and that it’s more than acceptable to step away from your books for a short ten minute walk to clear your mind and get your blood flowing.

5. Stretch

This is something that a lot of people overlook, but you’d be surprised about how important flexibility places in your fitness. Stiff muscles, especially from sitting at a desk all day can cause all sorts of problems in the future. Keep yourself loosey-goosey with a regular stretching routine. It’s also super easy to study/multitask while stretching since it’s so low-impact.

How do you plan on staying in shape for the rest of the semester? Good luck on your finals, fellow collegiates, and don’t forget that being healthy is the number one priority! HCXO

Hey everyone! I'm Juls (yes, short for Julie), and I'm a junior biology major with a double minor in chemistry and mathematics at Adelphi University. I'm also a writer and the head of the editorial team for Her Campus Adelphi. I've been running for 6 years and am a (beginner) Bikram yoga junkie, so I guess you can say I'm also a fitness enthusiast. If I'm not out for a run or in the yoga studio, you can catch me volunteering at my local hospital, laughing with my friends while out for coffee, or tuning in for the latest episode of Dancing With the Stars. Feel free to say hi if you see me around; I'm most likely that girl with a pair of sunglasses on top of her head even if it's cloudy outside.