Why Simply Stating “I Am Not The Same Person As Before” Is Not Enough

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Let’s say that you are somebody who was mean to someone in the past for no reason. After reflecting on your past immoral actions, you realize how what you did was very wrong and so you go on to tell your followers on social media:“I am a changed person. I am not the same person as before. Get that past image of me out of your head.” You hope that those who think of you as a mean and nasty person will all of a sudden think of you as a changed person, someone who is now gracious and kind. Well, simply making a statement like that is not enough. 

If someone’s last memory of you is when you were cruel and nasty, just saying that “you’ve changed” isn’t a sufficient enough response. If you don’t keep in touch with them anymore, you can’t quite prove to them that you have changed. Unless you find a way to really prove that you’ve made fundamental changes to your behavior, your words are going to be meaningless to them. 

Each person you’ve wronged will decide on their own terms whether or not to forgive you. They’ll make that decision based on their experiences with you, and they’re entitled to believe whatever they wish despite your apologies or expectations. 

That being said, this should serve as a reminder to just be kind; you never know the trials and tribulations that someone is going through. If you treat people with the kindness and respect that they deserve, you can save yourself from ever having to be in a position where you have to prove what kind of person you are. 

Hello reader! I am Carmilia Moise, and I am a second-year student at Adelphi University. I am majoring in Nursing. My favorite things to do are sing, act, dance, listen to music, and watch films and TV shows. I’m so excited to share my thoughts and likings through my article contributions to Her Campus!