What North Carolina’s Anti-LGBT Law Means

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Last week in North Carolina, a law was enacted which requires individuals to use the bathroom that matches the sex on their birth certificates. This is incredibly problematic because it forces people who are transgender to use a bathroom that doesn’t match their identity.

Additionally and equally troubling, the law bans workers from suing in state courts over discrimination based on race, color, religion, and sexuality. It has also become illegal to require businesses to raise minimum wage or provide paid sick leave.

It’s easy to see how problematic the impacts of this law can be.

Instead of focusing on education, healthcare, infrastructure, politicians are throwing all of their focus into stopping Americans from peeing. Good job, everyone. Keep up the good work. Is there a sarcasm font?

It seems as though we’ve taken a giant leap backwards in the struggle for LGBT rights. Previously, members of the trans community were legally allowed to use bathrooms based on their gender identity. Politicians are now responding to Republican claim that “women and children were in danger” and that it “violated religious freedom.”

…wait, what?

*rolls eyes*

They’ve got to be kidding.

NY governor Andrew Cuomo agrees that this is utter nonsense. He has restricted non-essential public employee travel to the state of North Carolina. He states, “as long as there is a law in North Carolina that creates the grounds for discrimination against LGBT people, I am barring non-essential travel to the state.”

Those in favor of this law have claimed (entirely falsely) that it doesn’t take away rights. They also fear monger, telling ignorant audiences that “a man could walk into a women’s restroom!” *gasp*

SAY IT WITH ME: TRANS WOMEN ARE NOT MEN. TRANS MEN ARE NOT WOMEN.

Individuals who are trans are vulnerable in society; they face discrimination, harassment, and violence just for being who they are. They’re having their bathrooms taken away from them! While ignorant politicians claim that they are a threat, trans people do not suffer emotional trauma and societal setbacks with the thought: “if I was trans that would be a great way to attack little girls in the bathroom.” Their battle and indentity are more valuable than being put down in that way.

Thankfully, this law is facing enormous amounts of resistance. On Monday, a lawsuit officially began. These bigots will be taken down. We will not stand for this.

I'm a sophomore at Adelphi University! Actor and Collegiette