The Top 5 Benefits of Having An On-Campus Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

“I can’t, I have work” is something I have grown into saying just about every day.  I have an on-campus job as an Admissions Ambassador, and I work every day Monday through Friday as well as the events that we sometimes have on weekends.  And you know what?  I absolutely love my job.  Getting a job in college is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself; my job has given me the opportunity to gain work experience, make friends, and have a great time while doing it.  So without further ado, here are the top five benefits of having an on-campus job, from a real student worker herself!

1)   Work Experience

Getting work experience is probably the number one benefit of having a job on campus.  You’re being given the opportunity to gain experience and find out what working in an office is like.  On-campus jobs are great things to add to your resume, and it’s always good to say that you had a job during college in an interview. 

2)   Time Management 

Having an on-campus job has certainly taught me a lot about time management.  Between classes, work, and extra curricular activities, my schedule is packed.  I mentioned before that I work every day Monday through Friday, and that’s because I chose to.  Because of my job, I know how to manage my time and schedule things just right so that I fit everything I need to in my weekly to-do list.

3)   Scheduling 

Speaking of scheduling, on-campus jobs are the best for your schedule, because offices are generally a lot more flexible with you.  They know that you are a student before anything else, and know that you have to schedule things around your classes rather than schedule classes around your work.  This also means that if something comes up for class that you need to go to, your boss will understand that you have an academic commitment.  Plus, since the job is right on campus, it’s super easy to get to and from work, so you don’t have to stress about getting there or making it back in time for class!

4)   Make Your Own Money

Hello, pay day!  With an on-campus job, you’ll be making your own money so you can totally score those new shoes you’ve been obsessing over on your own time!  Added bonus: you’re gaining budgeting skills, which is super important, and will be helpful for the rest of your life.  If you understand how to budget your money now, you’ll be better off later on because you’ll already know what you’re doing.

5)   New Friends

This is by far the best part about having a job on campus.  The people that I have met through work are some of the best friends I have.  And they’re not just my “work friends”, they’re my actual close friends – we study together, hang out outside of work, and obviously send ugly snapchats to each other (because nothing says true friendship like ugly snapchats).  I love the people I work with, and that’s definitely why I love my job so much.  I’m excited to go to work and see everyone every day.  It’s easy to bond with people you work with because they get it; they understand what you’re doing because they’re going through it too, you’re in it together.

If you’re interested in seeing what on-campus jobs are available at Adelphi, stop by the Center for Career Development in Post Hall, check out their website here, or head over to PantherZone for some job listings. You definitely won’t regret it!

Writer for Her Campus - Adelphi, involved on campus, lover of Saturday Night Live.