Sorority Accepts First Member With Down Syndrome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Greek life, though prevalent throughout the United States (and internationally as well!), often comes along with harsh stereotypes. Sororities in particular are often deemed as elitist, stupid, party girls who pay for their friends.  Why is it that often times, when someone finds out that another person is involved in Greek life, his or her view of them will often change? We are not the harsh stereotypes that you may think we are, and, if you didn’t already know that, Alpha Sigma Alpha at Murray State University is ready to show you how. 

As a sorority woman myself, I know firsthand that being in a sorority and being a part of the Greek community as a whole is so, so much more than those harmful stereotypes that are placed upon us. Sisterhood is having a group of women who love and support you, value the same things, are dedicated to philanthropic causes, are determined to succeed, and most of all, accept you for who you truly are. So when Alexis Cain, a student at Murray State University, saw all of the good that sorority women do, she wanted sisters herself. Alexis has Down syndrome, and many would not consider her your “typical sorority girl”. That’s the beauty of Greek life – you are accepted for who you are. Her mother even said that when she was going through recruitment, she was worried that someone would comment on Alexis’s disability. But then, she got her bid from Alpha Sigma Alpha. As a sister, she says that her “syndrome does not define her” when it comes to her new sisters loving her for the great woman that she is. ASA has done a terrific job in showing the world what sororities, and sorority women, are really all about – acceptance, love, support, and true sisterhood. 

Alexis comments on how she feels accepted and how much she loves her sisters in this heartwarming video, which can be found here. Her mom also speaks about her daughter’s journey through recruitment. You even get to hear from her Big! Be warned, you may need some Kleenex on hand if you’re going to watch this one, collegiettes! 

Writer for Her Campus - Adelphi, involved on campus, lover of Saturday Night Live.
Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/