Real Talk: Free Feminine Products on College Campuses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Across the country, universities offer free condoms to their students. And while this is great (Safe sex! Woo!), there have been some complaints. Universities find it in their budgets to provide condoms yet most universities do not offer free pads and tampons.

Recently there has been major backlash about the lack of this service. Schools all over the country have taken part in the debate over free pads and tampons. People do not choose whether or not to menstruate, and people do choose whether or not to have sex. Shouldn’t schools provide products that their students need?

But what’s the big deal? They’re just tampons, right? Wrong. During the course of their lives a woman will spend approximately $2,000 on sanitary products. This is referred to as “The Pink Tax.” It is very expensive to own a vagina. College kids are notoriously broke before spending their hard earned money on pads and tampons while optional items, like condoms, are given out freely.

This is not to say that colleges and universities should stop having free condoms. This initiative began as a way to prevent HIV and other STIs in college students. According to studies done, the availability of free condoms has not increased sexual activity on campuses. The initiative is completely positive. Free condoms are an effective initiative that we should not do away with. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

But back to the issue at hand! Picture this: you’re in a bathroom stall. You realize you’ve started your period. You don’t have any supplies with you. Wouldn’t it make a world of difference if free pads and tampons were available in each bathroom?

And what about students who simply cannot afford the products? No woman should have to miss class, or risk TSS (Toxic shock syndrome. Scaaaaary.) because they cannot afford pads and tampons. Free pads and tampons would help close the gap in inequality.

Universities have found the money to provide condoms, but pads and tampons are too expensive? I, for one, refuse to believe it. If men got periods, it would be unheard of to charge them for the necessary supplies. Don’t believe me? Men’s razors aren’t taxed because they’re considered a necessity. Tampons are because they considered a luxury item.

It may seem like the provision of free tampons is an unrealistic utopia. But think of it this way: we are expected not to bleed all over the place. We’re also expected to wipe after using the bathroom. Gross, but true. They’re the same. And when’s the last time you paid for toilet paper in a public bathroom? That’s what I thought.

What do you think, Collegiettes? Should sanitary products be free to college students? Go to freethetampons.org to learn more.

I'm a sophomore at Adelphi University! Actor and Collegiette