This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

This is is one of the most common times when most people try something new. For all my life I’ve always tried to keep my hair as long as possible. My hair always hangs down to my hips swaying as I walked. I really enjoyed it until it would get in the way of everything, so my go-to hairstyle was up in a bun or a high ponytail.

This year I felt like it was time for a change. I knew I wanted to change my hairstyle but I didn’t know how. All I knew was it needed to be cut, but how short is too short? There are so many different styles to choose from

Curly Hair Bob

This would be the perfect hairstyle to prevent my hair from getting into my face but I’m too scared to become unrecognizable to myself. I’m so used to long hair I don’t think I could make such a big change so fast. My hair would look healthier and all the split ends would be gone, but I’d miss my hair too much.

Long Layers

For this look, I’d just have to cut the lengths and add layers. This would definitely make me look different without much change. This is one of the top contenders. 

Textured Curls

Girls with curls like these are SO pretty. The only problem is to maintain such beautiful curls.

Sleek Bob

I don’t think I can pull this off just because my head is a different shape but love the look on others!   

Mid Length Lob

This look would be the most similar to my natural hair minus length. This hairstyle would be the safest option for me but I want to adventure out a bit more out of my comfort zone.

The quest for a new hair is a tough decision and something that shouldn’t just be decided in a snap of a finger. For me, my hair is part of what makes me myself!

In the end, I settled for chopping 6 inches off and putting my hair in long layers. Maybe next year, I will try to be bolder and go for the Curly Hair Bob.

Hello! My name is Shanisha! I am a Junior Nursing Major and part of the Levermore Global Scholars Program at Adelphi University. On campus, you will most likely find me in the Underground Cafe with my friends or at the Alice Brown Early Learning Center. These are my two favorite spots! I hope you are able to relate to the articles I write! Enjoy your day!! :)