Movies to Get You in the Mood for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Halloween is just days away and I don’t know about you, but I am so excited! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, and just another reason to love fall even more! Whether you are giving out candy to little ones, partying it up or just relaxing in Halloween pajamas, these movies are the best to really get you in the spooky spirit!

Hocus Pocus

What kind of Halloween movie list would this be if it didn’t have Hocus Pocus? This movie came out in 1993 and is still a Halloween must! I mean who doesn’t want to sing along as the Sanderson sisters sing “I Put A Spell on You”? I know I go all out and jam hardcore!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Good old Leatherface always makes more of an appearance around the month of October and let’s be honest, he is pretty scary. There are many different Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies and each one strikes horror into the viewers hearts. I would definitely not want to be the one he is chasing after!

Van Helsing

This movie is so good that I can watch it all year round, and it is so fitting for the month of October! I love Hugh Jackman and the stories of Dracula and Frankenstein so I might be biased but this is one that everyone should watch this Halloween. Hugh Jackman teams up with kate Beckinsale to save a small town in Transylvania from the evil Count Dracula.

Halloweentown Series

Halloweentown has this magic ability to transport you back to when you were a kid. I remember watching any of the movies in this amazing series, on Disney Channel while eating a load of candy. Not to mention the talented Debbie Reynolds playing the grandmother, Aggie!

Get Out

While this isn’t your typical Halloween movie, it definitely gives you the chills! This thriller will have you jumping in your seat the whole time and leave you with mouth wide open in shock. If you are looking for a movie that will not just scare you but surprise you, this is one for you!

Addams Family

“They’re creepy and they’re kooky, mysterious and spooky. They’re all together ooky, The Addams Family!” and they’re perfect for Halloween! Like Morticia says, “black is such a happy color” especially on Halloween!

Beetlejuice

Oldies and goodies and this hilarious movie will leave you saying “Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, BEETLEJUICE!”

Practical Magic

Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman are cunning, funny and all around great in this magical drama. This spooky film is just the thing to get you in the Halloween mood.

Halloween Film Series

“Halloween” is in the name, so obviously this is the best month to watch any of the slasher films in this series! These movies draw you into the messed up world of the killer, Michael Myers, and does not disappoint!

Rocky Horror Picture Show

This cult classic is bound to get you up and dancing! If you’re feeling really adventurous, there are theaters that put on live performances of this show around Halloween time! I have been watching Rocky Horror with my friends for many years (on screen and on stage) and they never disappoint!

These are the best movies to get you into the spooky spirit of Halloween and get the most out of this rocking holiday! Have a sweet Halloween, eat tons of candy and stay safe!!

Danielle Kash

Adelphi '20

Hello there! I am Danielle Kash. I am a Business Management Major at Adelphi. I love to travel, cooking and LOVE to watch movies! Hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them!