This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Q: What’s your year and major?

A: I’m a junior nursing major.

Q: What activities are you involved in school and outside school?

A: In school, I am in Pi Lambda Phi Fraternity, the nursing club, and ASL club. Outside school, I work on an ambulance and I have been doing so for the past 5 years. 

Q: What is it like being an EMT?

A: It’s exciting!! It’s really fun and I see it as a really positive experience, especially because I get to help people. My father’s diabled with RSDS which is a nerve condition and ambulances used to come to my house all the time, I would always view the EMTs that came to my house as heroes (like Batman!). Seeing kids and people view me as a hero like batman makes being an EMT worth it. 

Q: I see you have some tattoos! Do they have any special meaning?

A: One tattoo is a knife on my arm. I was stabbed while working an overdose call. I got a tattoo in the same spot later on. One of my tattoos is a paw. Freshman year of college, my dog passed away and he was my best friend since elementary school. He was always there for me and helped me through being bullied. I wanted to do something for him. I had a clay imprint of his paw and I took it to a good friend, Dara Freeman, and she made a tattoo idea for me using his paw print. All 4 of my tattoos have symbolic meaning. 

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: I play bass guitar, I love listening to music, I like to play video games, and read comics. 

Q: What are your favorite foods?

A: I’m a pescatarian and my favorite food is sushi!! A pescatarian is a vegetarian by the way that eats fish. I also do calorie Counting and I have an app on my phone that helps me keep track of what I’m eating. It’s a very healthy lifestyle and I am still able to eat my favorite food. 

Q: What do you wish to do after you graduate? What are your goals?

A: I want to work in the ER department or psych ward sort of area. Or even a trauma center! And when I feel comfortable, I want to join the coast guard or Search and Rescue Teams. I want to do something thats needed and that helps people! 

Q: Do you have any role models?

A: My grandfather because he worked his way through college (St.John’s) and became an accountant. He now runs his own company. Him and my grandmother are the heads of it. He makes a decent amount of money but doesnt let anty excess money go to waste. He always donates it and he has a big heart which I look up to.

Q: What do you look for in a partner?

A: I look for compatibility! I want to make sure we get along really well. I look for someone who can understand my references or my puns, and has the same taste in music. They need to have a sense of humor!! I look for someone who I can have a fun time with. 

Q: What is your idea of a perfect date?

A: A nice dinner at the Witches Brew or picnic at the beach would be awesome! A night out in the city or a comedy show would be really nice too. Obvisously I would pay for everything! I grew up in a house of women so I know what is expected and how to be a gentleman. 

Q: Where did you grow up?

A: I was born in Teaneck, New Jersey. I lived in Fort Lee for the beginning of my life. I moved to Hicksville and then I moved to Commack. I live in New Hall A at Adelphi University now!

Q: Are you single or taken?

A: I’m single!

FUN FACT: People call me Walnut because my teachers would forget my last name (Walton) and made a nickname for my last name to remember it. Some people thought I was named Walnut. They didn’t know my first or last name but would always refer to me as Walnut! My name is Matt but most people call me Walnut. When I came to Adelphi, people also really liked my nickname and during the freshman orientation program, I was called up to volunteer for the Mentalist performer and I told him my nickname then everyone became aware of my nickname. Even my professors and my brothers call me Walnut! 

Matt and I ended our wondeful interview with talking about being “weird.” Something we both agreed upon is that…we were both weird. But everyone is weird…in their own special way!! Matt stressed to me that everyone should always be themselves and be who they are, because that is what is most important and what matters the most. He’s an inspirational guy!

Hi I'm Liz!! I'm currently a sophomore at Adelphi University and I study communications. I strive to become a journalist or a news reporter someday. Besides being a contributor for HerCampus and studying communications, I have a passion for martial arts and criminal justice. I also love babysitting so I obviously love kids and something I may also do is become a teacher. One fun fact about me is that  I have been studying Ju Jitsu for the past 12 or 13 years and I am currently a second degree brown belt.