Love Talks: Being Real this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Long-Term Relationship Couples

Alyssa Molina

Q: How long have you been with your girlfriend/boyfriend?

A: I have been with my boyfriend for 3 and 1/2 years.

Q: How do you define being in love?

A: I define being in love as being caring for the person and putting them before everything. But also having a lust for them that never fades.

Q: What are your plans on Valentines Day?

A: I plan on going to the city with my boyfriend. It’s what we love doing together the most. We’re going out to dinner and I’m going to give him a gift that he’s going to love because i put a lot of thought into it and he better love it.

Q: How did you meet?

A: My boyfriend and I met through his cousin. We all went to six flags together and I thought he was weird. But then he grew on me and we had a good time. shortly after we started to go out.

Q: What made you fall in love with them?

A: I think the thing that made me fall in love with him was his personality. He’s so outgoing,funny and charismatic. Being someone that is very shy at first, he really knew how to make me feel comfortable and bring me out my shell. Along with his looks lol you have to think they’re good looking.

Vincent Colamarino

A: Alyssa and I have been together 3 years and 7 months.

Q: How do you define being in love?

A: I define being in love to have a really rare spiritual connection with someone like me and Alyssa have we can’t go more than a day talking to each other. You just care for that person so much you would do what ever possible to see them happy and healthy.

A: My plans for Valentine’s Day are to go out with Alyssa with whatever money I can make back by this week and take her to nice dinner then go see 50 shades of grey. I’ll add little surprise when we get back with some secrets I’m making.

Q: How did you meet?

A: Surprisingly we met through my jealous cousin who tried to get me to breakup with her cause I had what my cousin always wanted. But the place was Six Flags some time late June 2011. Me and Alyssa barely talked that day but we just really saw something in each other

A: What made me fall in love with Alyssa? I don’t think I can honestly answer that cause every day I fall in love with her I ever since I saw her when she walked out of her apartment building at 6 in the morning and I was too shy to even say hi. Alyssa has made me who I am today and I couldn’t thank her more for that she really makes me feel whole. She just captured me with her glowing green eyes and great smile she just made me wanna be the best man I could possibly be for her. And if your near or gonna see her soon tell her I love her.

Matthew Goldman 

A: I’ve been with my girlfriend for a year and four months.

Q: How do you define being in love?

A: Love is being with someone, caring for them, listening to them, accepting all their faults and insecurities, and knowing in your heart that this person is the only one you need, undoubtedly.

A: Valentine’s Day will involve some couples massages, a movie date to see 50 shades of grey, dinner, and then a long and romantic night together.

Q: How did you meet?

A: Me and Liz met in the underground cafe, she was with a mutual friend and as soon as she wakes in, my eyes were glued on her. After she sat down next to me I awkwardly shook her hand and this budded a beautiful friendship.

A: I fell in love with Liz for her sincerity and passion for helping others. Not only does she devote herself to me and love me unconditionally, but she helps all the people she cares about and does her best to see them happy! Not only that, but Liz accepts me for me, never once complaining and challenging anything I say or do. That’s why I love her! (Also she’s totally beautiful ummph)

Liz Toro

A: I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a few months.

Q: How do you define being in love?

A: I define love as always putting the one you love before you and always making their happiness a priority. Love requires trust, understanding, and patience. Love is also always being there for your partner no matter what the circumstance, because its during the bad times that we see who is truly there for us.

A: On Valentines Day, my boyfriend and I will be getting massages together, seeing 50 Shades of Grey (already got tickets!), and having a nice dinner together. That night, we will hopefully make a pizza in heart shape because I’ve been dying to have one.

Q: How did you meet?

A: We met in the underground cafe. When I walked into the cafe, Matt was the first one I saw. He looked up at me at the same time I walked in and saw him. I thought he was really cute and then I realized that the friend I was with was also friends with Matt! I sat down next to him and as soon as we started talking…I knew I found my best friend.

A: I fell in love with Matt for his outgoing and friendly personality. Even though our tastes of music can be a little different, Matt and I both love music. I loved the fact that we had a lot in common too. Matt is a funny and charming person that I’m proud to call my boyfriend and my best friend. Matt is always willing to help people and is a great person to talk to whenever someone needs it. He is always understanding and patient…especially with me because I can be very stubborn. He’s the best and I love him!

Blooming Long-Term Relationship

Moshe Malka

A: 4 months

Q: How do you define being in love?

A: When they feel as important as you are to yourself

A: Not sure, I think she has a family thing to attend

Q: How did you meet?

A: School/orientation

A: Her personality

Moshe’s Girlfriend

A: Four months

Q: How do you define being in love?

A: Being in love is when you give your heart to this special person to hold, entrusting its care and safety with them. It’s when you realize that they treat your heart with the upmost care and nurturing and they protect it with their life. It’s when they do all this and don’t even realize it they’re holding it.

A: When you’re truly in love, celebrating on the “actual day” doesn’t matter…at least to us. Anyway, Valentine’s Day plans are scattered over various days this year.

Q: How did you meet?

A: We met through Adelphi!

A: It’s not what made me fall in love with him but who he is that made me fall in love with him. He’s perfect and imperfect in the best possible ways for me. I couldn’t ask for someone that would amazingly complement me more.

Singles on Valentines Day

Jackie Ruckert

Q: What do you plan on doing on Valentines Day?

A: I plan to go out with my other 2 single roommates and party while my other 2 roommates are out with their boyfriends.

Q: How do you define love?

A: To me, love is that deep connection you have with someone that you dont have with anyone else. Love should be like home. You should feel at home with the person you love:safe, protected, cared for and loved in return.

Q: Do you think people can take Valentines Day too far?

A: Some people definitely take valentines day way too far. Especially now that, like every other holiday, it’s a way for companies to make money. I think alot of people take it too far in that it’s almost like Feb. 14th, out of all the 365 daysa year, they expect something. They expect to be shown they are loved with flowers, candy, romantic dinners, etc, when actually you should be shown you are loved every single day. Not just once a year. Also I think it kinda promotes sex in a way that can be unwanted. I feel like people tend to see valentines day as a way to “show their love” for their significant other and this is often done through sexual behaviors, which isn’t good for some relationships. Some might feel they “owe” their significant other sex on this day, or they feel they have to do something that maybe they really don’t want to. Sex does not equal love and love does not, in any way, equal sex.

Hi I'm Liz!! I'm currently a sophomore at Adelphi University and I study communications. I strive to become a journalist or a news reporter someday. Besides being a contributor for HerCampus and studying communications, I have a passion for martial arts and criminal justice. I also love babysitting so I obviously love kids and something I may also do is become a teacher. One fun fact about me is that  I have been studying Ju Jitsu for the past 12 or 13 years and I am currently a second degree brown belt.