Janine Sicwaten ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Q: What’s your year and major?

A: I am a junior in the Nursing Program.

Q: What activities are you involved in school and outside school?

A: I helped found the Student Appreciation and Recognition of Adelphi Pinoys (SARAP) two years ago and have been the president ever since. Outside of school I love to shop and spend time with my family.

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: My hobbies involve traveling, playing the guitar, and binging on Netflix.

FUN Fact:  I can rap any Drake song.

Q: What do you love about Adelphi?

A: Adelphi has a sense of community that is often hard to find. At Adelphi I have had the opportunity to start an organization that I am passionate about and made friends that will last a lifetime.

Q: What do you wish to do when you graduate? (What are your goals)

A: When I graduate I wish to become an registered nurse and live abroad for a period of time. England or Italy here I come!

Q: Do you have any role models?

A: My mother has and will always be my role model. I hope to find the courage to chase after my dreams just as she has in moving from her homeland, the Philippines to create a better life. She is not only strong but kind to all she meets. 

FUN Fact: I was run over by a bicyclist and lived to tell the tale.

Q: What’s your favorite place at Adelphi?

A: I don’t know if I would call the library my favorite place but it is where I often find myself. It’s quite a love-hate relationship. I hate having to chain myself there in order to study for exams but it’s a commonplace where me and my friends struggle, study, and laugh together.

Q: What advice would you give to incoming freshman?

A: I would tell them to try their hardest not to procrastinate. Leaving things until last minute only increases the stress levels. Be sure to not only create a schedule for yourself but follow through with it.

Q: What is your favorite memory at Adelphi?

A: My favorite memory was when SARAP became an officially recognized organization at Adelphi. For months others who were just as passionate about sharing our culture with the community worked tirelessly to make it a reality. Ever since we have worked even harder to not only meet campus standards but educate, celebrate, and appreciate Filipino culture together with Adelphi students. 

Q: What do you think is most important in order to have a great college experience?

A: I think it’s important to take every opportunity to do something new. More often than not we regret the chances that we did not take rather than the mistakes we have made. When I look back at my college experience I won’t remember exactly the number of hours that I lost sleep stressed out studying until 5AM. I will remember the risks I took and the friends that I have made.

FUN Fact: I love potatoes. Fries, tater tots, hash browns, I don’t discriminate. I love them all.

Q: What do you look for in a partner?

A: Honesty and a good sense of humor. Without those things I do not think a real relationship can be found.

Q: What would be the perfect date?

A: I’m a simple girl. A picnic in the park or a day by the beach is what I would imagine.

Q: What’s your favorite food?

A: Do french fries count?

Hi I'm Liz!! I'm currently a sophomore at Adelphi University and I study communications. I strive to become a journalist or a news reporter someday. Besides being a contributor for HerCampus and studying communications, I have a passion for martial arts and criminal justice. I also love babysitting so I obviously love kids and something I may also do is become a teacher. One fun fact about me is that  I have been studying Ju Jitsu for the past 12 or 13 years and I am currently a second degree brown belt.