How to get Involved on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

I remember my freshmen year on campus, and to say the least it was difficult. Being a commuter is hard, especially when you are trying to find your place while still  worried about classes and finding a parking lot.  Neverthless, it is important for everyone to find their nich at their campus because now is the time for us to grow and find ourselves.

Taking the First Step

The first thing any student has to do is have the courage to put yourself out there.  It can be daunting especially if you are shy, but its okay. You shouldn’t however, let it hinder you from stepping out of your comfort zone, because you have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

Join Clubs

First check out the organizations your school offers in the beginning of each year at the club fair.  Try to join clubs that fit your major or what your interested in. You’ll be passionate about it and plus they will be other students there you might have class with. Also, if nothing interests you, try starting your own club and make a difference that way.

Greek Life

Joining a sorority was one of the best decisions I could have ever made.  Being a member of Greek life motivated me to put myself out there. I now had  to attend things on campus that I wouldn’t have done before. Also, I found my second home and lifelong sisters that will one day become my bridesmaids.  Greek life allows you to have leadership responsibilities you thought you would never have the chance too. As well as, the motivation for academic excellence and the tools to succeed in life such as, networking and time management.

Academic Excellence

Overall, it is important to keep your grades up to par because some programs require leadership an academic excellence.  Having a high GPA can make you avavaible for academic honor societies such as Kappa Delta Pi for education,  or Psi Chi for Psychology to name a few.