HC Profile: Taylor Mellina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Name: Taylor Mellina

Year: Senior

Major/minor: Psychology

Career goals: To be honest, I am still exploring my options so I would rather announce things after I feel I have built up enough momentum :)

Netflix Binge: Sense8 (soooo good), American Horror Story, Shameless

Favorite pick me up movie: La La Land, The Notebook, The Spongebob Movie

Favorite Song atm: Get You by Daniel Caesar ft. Kali Uchis

Favorite book: Tie between “Unf*ck Yourself” by Gary John Bishop and “Small Admissions” by Amy Poeppel

Hobbies/Passions: playing the drums, Photography, deep thinking on late nights

Defining life experience: Life is something that is constantly changing. The more you experience things and grow, the more you realize you don’t know as much as you thought you did! It really is all about the process.  If you learn something new everyday, you’re doing something right.

What are you most proud of yourself for: Coming as far as I have (academically, mentally, emotionally, etc.) and not giving up.

Dream Vacation spot:  Jamaica, relaxing on a towel by the ocean, looking at the clear water… Just taking it all in!

Favorite adelphi spot: the PAC sitting on the couch, either on the first floor or second floor. Just listening to students walking by singing and laughing.  The dance majors are practicing for their next class and theater majors rehearsing their lines on the carpet floor of the hallway.

Interesting fact/adelphi story: Last semester it was move-out day at Adelphi, and my Dad was helping me bring the last of my stuff from the dorm to the car. As I got close to the car, I glanced up and saw a big bird pouched at the top of a lightpost I looked down and noticed a pigeon pacing back and forth under the car next to ours.  I thought it was odd but I carried on and put the last of my things in the trunk. I turned around and saw the pigeon was trying to make a run for it; he ended up under our car. Wondering why he looked so frantic, something told me to look up. I realized that the big bird was actually a falcon that was glaring and waiting for the pigeon to emerge.  Timing is everything right? I got the the passengers door as the pigeon darted next to me. The falcon DOVE down to try and get his next prey. I didn’t know I could just so high, so fast but I jumped into the car while trying to shoo both birds away from the car. I yelled to my dad “LET’S GO WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE!” and he immediately pulled off, while laughing the next 15 minutes of course.

Valencia Saint-Louis is a Senior at Adelphi University, majoring in Communications with a concentration in Media Studies. She is passionate about living well, supporting and motivating others, being an active leader, and educating others through entertainment. Building effective teams, promoting helpful resources and services, and creating meaningful content are essential pillars of Valencia's professional vision.