Gabby Vaccarino ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.
Q: What year and major are you?
A: I am a sophomore communications major concentrating in journalism and a marketing minor.

Q: What activities do you participate in?
A: I am a member of the film club, Works in Progress. I also just got elected onto the eboard for the fall semester as the public relations and social media person. I write for Her Campus Adelphi and will be taking over as campus correspondent next semester for Natalie as she studies abroad in London. 

Q: Do you have any hobbies?
A: I absolutely love music. I do not play any instruments but I love, love, love going to concerts! I could go to one every week or every day. Music is something I really connect with. I also like poetry, I don’t write too often but here and there I’ll write down a few lines. I think that comes from my connection to music. Maybe one day I’ll write a hit song for Ed Sheeran! I overall enjoy anything that has to do with writing or entertainment. I spend a lot of time working on blogs and websites that I’m designing. I like to build my platforms and give myself a positive presence online. I’ve developed a blog for works in progress & im about to launch a website about HC Adelphi. 

Q: Favorite food?
A: Uhmmmmm I’m a picky eater and come from a 100% Italian family, but I would have to say pizza. Not the ordinary NY pizza, my grandmas homemade authentic pizza! 

Q: Goals/Aspirations?
A: Ever since I was 10 years old I knew I wanted to go into Communications. I didn’t know the name for the field but I knew the people I wanted to be like. I hope to work for VIACOM relations. They own many entertainment platforms and I would like to do anything for them. One day in the distant future I would like to be a successful entertainment journalist. I also want to have some experiences in broadcast media. As the upcoming campus correspondent I would like to get us officially recognized as a campus organization. 

Q: Role Model?
A: My cousin Alicia is without a doubt my role model. She is the strongest person I know. Her determination catches my eye each and every time i talk to her about her future. She graduated college early and will be completing her masters next month. She has certifications in various fields of special education & education. She’s also an overall great person. She’s there for me whenever I need her encouragement. I don’t have an older sibling (I’m actually a twin!) So she is truly my older sister. 

Q: Favorite place at Adelphi?
A: Blodgett Hall… that may sound weird but this semester I spent so much time in that building that I feel it has become part of me.

Q: Advice for incoming freshman?
A: Don’t be afraid to try as many things as possible. One thing I regret is not getting involved as soon as I entered Adelphi. Now in my second year i am starting to find things that work for me and that I enjoy to do. Don’t be discouraged if something doesn’t work out right away … and hey, start your own club if you want! I cannot stress enough how much more enjoyable your time at Adelphi will be if you get involved! 

Hi I'm Liz!! I'm currently a sophomore at Adelphi University and I study communications. I strive to become a journalist or a news reporter someday. Besides being a contributor for HerCampus and studying communications, I have a passion for martial arts and criminal justice. I also love babysitting so I obviously love kids and something I may also do is become a teacher. One fun fact about me is that  I have been studying Ju Jitsu for the past 12 or 13 years and I am currently a second degree brown belt.