Commuter Life – How to deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Being a commuter you seem to spend more time traveling to campus rather than actually being on campus. To be realistic, residents and commuters have their fare share of things to complain about. I’m sure resident halls and dorm rooms aren’t always the ideal living space.  But, residents have it a little easier when it comes to the everyday agenda. Their classrooms are a hop, skip, and a jump away! Meaning, they can wake up 20 minutes before a class and still make it. Here’s some ways to deal with the commuter lifestyle! 

• If you’re using public transportation, to make the ride feel shorter/more pleasing, read a book, listen to music, or some activity that will keep you self engaged. You’ll be distracted from the chaos around you that comes with rush hour. If you relax before the day starts you’ll have less stress and everything will flow from there. 

• Make sure you get yourself on a solid sleeping schedule. I know…I know…its impossible to keep the same sleeping pattern but try and keep it as long as possible. Getting the same amount of sleep each night makes it easier to get up and commute in the morning. Plus, you can’t avoid waking up early because we’ve got to get parking or deal with delays/traffic! 
  • Carpooling will save you time and money. Set up a carpool schedule with your closest friends.  Your wallet won’t suffer a much in the end. Unless, you’re that friend who drives. Make sure to switch off each week. 
  • Pack snacks with you to have throughout the day. This is another way to save money as well. Food on campus can add up unless you’ve got a commuter meal plan. Pack food the night before so you can grab and go in the morning. It’s important to make sure you’re still eating despite the tight schedule. 
  • You’ll never know when the weather is going to act up. Keep things like an umbrella, sweatshirt, shorts, pants, extra shoes, etc. in your car just incase mother nature wants to be bipolar. If you’ve got a big enough bag with you, it doesn’t hurt to pack an umbrella. I’ve learned the hard way! 
  • Get involved. Its as simple as that. You’re college experience will be much better once you’ve gotten some activity to look forward too. Being in different organizations will pass the time between classes and make it easier to make friends with other commuters. If you haven’t found something that’s for you, start your own club! 

• Carrying all your supplies throughout the day can be a pain. To minimize the load, get multi subject notebooks or binders. You can decrease from 5 books to 2 books. If not, theres lockers offered in the commuter lounge ! Car storage works also but its cruel to trick other drivers into thinking you’re leaving…only to get something from the trunk. 

Don’t get me wrong, there’s cons to being a commuter. First off, you aren’t stuck on a dead campus during the weekends. Secondly, most people cannot wait to move out, but lets give some praise to the beauty of still living with your parents. I mean c’mon, who doesn’t like home cooked meals over cafeteria food? 

Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/