Ask Adelphi – Should textbooks be free??

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

According to usnews.com, 65 percent of students said they are against buying a book required for class. Of those students, almost all (94 percent) said they were concerned that doing so would hurt their grade in a class due to the high cost of textbooks. Almost half of all students surveyed said the cost of textbooks affected which or how many classes they choose to take each semester. So if students choose to take a lighter course load to get around the financial burden of textbooks, they may spend a longer time in college overall which is also really expensive. 

Liz Toro asked a few students about their views on the costs of textbooks and if textbooks should be free. 

Matthew Goldman’s response: If it’s apart of our tuiton, textbooks should be calculated with the amount of college fees and tuition we pay. Like high school, textbooks should be free and be able to be loaned or rented without a cost. Losing or damaging a book should be the only reasons why we have to pay any money towards textbooks. 

Nick White’s response: Should I buy textbooks or save money? I also question myself before each semester. I have anxiety over buying textbooks before school even starts. With the amount of money I spend on public transportation and food, I have to calculate if I have enough money for textbooks. I can spend an hour or two online just trying to find the cheapest textbook I can buy for each course. 

Evan Browand’s response: Costs are too high, probably because they realize some of us actually need those textbooks, and what’re we gonna do, not buy them? The problem is also compounded by professors who realize this and take advantage by forcing the class to buy a book he/she wrote, essentially double charging the class for his knowledge. Textbooks don’t have to be free, but should be a lower price.

Lauren Gauthier’s response: I think that the price is insane. The cost is more than the actual worth of the text book. I don’t think they should be free, but they should definitely not be $100 or more.

According to Forbes.com, E-books have been the presumed future of higher education. E-books do have the potential to save students money, they’re a lot easier to carry around, and because today’s students seem to prefer digital than print. Yet, only 3% of students use e-books. Students have also shown a strong preference for the familiar and are often reluctant to choose print. E-books don’t really solve the problem of the cost of textbooks at all. 

Hi I'm Liz!! I'm currently a sophomore at Adelphi University and I study communications. I strive to become a journalist or a news reporter someday. Besides being a contributor for HerCampus and studying communications, I have a passion for martial arts and criminal justice. I also love babysitting so I obviously love kids and something I may also do is become a teacher. One fun fact about me is that  I have been studying Ju Jitsu for the past 12 or 13 years and I am currently a second degree brown belt.