Ask Adelphi: 10 Adelphi Bests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

There are many reasons why Adelphi students have panther pride. After all, there are plenty of features of our beautiful campus that we have bragging rights over. Therefore, we asked our fellow Adelphians for some of Adelphi’s bests and summarized it all here for you. If you’re an upperclassmen, you’ll be able to relate, and if you’re a first semester freshie, keep these in mind as you’re still exploring life here at your new home.

1.       Best building exterior

I promise that as a biology major, I’m not being bias when I tell you that the best building exterior is the science building. Students of all majors claim that the science building’s architecture is the best and most unique on campus. The science building does sit in the middle of the Garden City campus, and its coliseum-like appearance provides a distinguishable landmark and centerpiece for our beautiful school.

2.       Best value meal

This one’s a no-brainer but Post Hall’s all-you-care-to-eat is the best value meal on campus. At a single flat rate that you pay at the door of the dining hall, you can enjoy as many plates of food as your little heart, or stomach, desires. With this price includes unlimited refills on any drink and unlimited dessert. Post Hall provides variety with different entrées every day. If you get sick of the food offered at the University Center, you should take a walk to the other side of campus to experience a dining experience at Post!

3.       Best study spot

If you can’t seem to concentrate in your dorm, consider hauling your books over to Swirbul Library and taking a seat in the back at the stacks. The stacks are more isolated and quiet than the residence halls or even the group-study tables at the front of the library, providing a more suitable area for independent study. If you really want some serious isolation, consider taking a seat at the S or C levels, which are the two bottommost levels of the stacks. There is also barely any cell service here, so you’ll be less tempted by text messages and social media notifications.

4.       Best coffee/hang-out spot

Another no brainer is that the Underground Café is the go-to place for coffee and hangouts on campus. While Monica, Phoebe, Joey, Rachel, Chandler, and Ross had Central Perk, Adelphi collegiates have Underground Café. You can come here for pastries, soups, Starbucks-style coffee, comfy armchairs, and music. It’s a great place to unwind for some laughs after a stressful day.

5.       Best visiting meal

If you walk into the UC and there’s a giant line going throughout the entire UC, you can guarantee that KoSo Fresh is visiting. For any first-semester freshmen out there, KoSo fresh is a food caterer that comes in for a week at a time and serves mouthwatering Korean food. If you see them in the UC, make sure to give them a try. I was doubtful at first too, but now I’m hooked.

6.       Best Adelphi wildlife

At Adelphi, you see plenty of wildlife from squirrels, to various types of birds, to bunnies, to lizards, to fish outside of the library, to the ladybugs released on campus as natural pesticides. However, the most loved and adored Adelphi wildlife has to be the Adelphi bunnies. I mean, come on, how can you not see these little fellas hopping around on your way to class and not coo at their very sight? I bet you all fell in love with them at first sight during freshman orientation. That’s right, we caught you.

7.       Best statue

As you walk around the Garden City campus, you’ll notice a ton of different statures, artwork, and sculptures all over, making up the gorgeous campus that we’re so proud to be a part of. The best and most popular one amongst you panthers is…yep, you guessed it. The Adelphi panther outside the Center for Recreation and Sports has already appeared in numerous Facebook, Twitter, Instagram posts, and even as one of our Campus Celebrities since its debut this summer. And why not? This gold statue symbolizes everything that Adelphi is – proud and strong.

8.       Best building interior

One of the most recent buildings is the performing arts center, or the PAC. This building was voted for the most gorgeous interior and it’s easy to see why. The PAC features brand new, state-of-art classrooms, dance studios, an exquisite concert hall and dance theater, and much more for our dance, music, art, and theatre/acting majors. This is justified, since the most creative students on campus deserve a gorgeous space to exert their talents.

9.       Best campus event

The best/most anticipated campus event was actually this week and that would be AU Chalk Up. Every fall semester, Adelphi clubs, organizations, teams, and students reserve a spot and time slot on campus and fill the pavements up with beautiful drawings, quotes, and symbols. This not only provides a great team bonding experience but also offers self-promotion and an artistic outlet. It also gives an opportunity to further decorate our campus. It’s hard to choose what’s the best aspect of Chalk Up – the drawing itself or simply walking around and admiring our fellow students’ work. 

10.   #1 Thing That We Love Most About Adelphi

The most common answer that’s received when we ask students what they love most about Adelphi is the community that this school provides. Being a fairly small university with very small class sizes, it gives you an opportunity to really know your classmates and professors. Everyone at Adelphi is always willing to lend a helping hand and support each other and there is a spot for anybody to fit in, no matter who you are and what your interests happen to be.

As you can see, there’s a ton of love for Adelphi and everything this school has to offer. I’m sure you fellow panthers had to agree with at least several of these Adelphi bests, if not all. The moral of the story is that we rock, no questions asked.

Hey everyone! I'm Juls (yes, short for Julie), and I'm a junior biology major with a double minor in chemistry and mathematics at Adelphi University. I'm also a writer and the head of the editorial team for Her Campus Adelphi. I've been running for 6 years and am a (beginner) Bikram yoga junkie, so I guess you can say I'm also a fitness enthusiast. If I'm not out for a run or in the yoga studio, you can catch me volunteering at my local hospital, laughing with my friends while out for coffee, or tuning in for the latest episode of Dancing With the Stars. Feel free to say hi if you see me around; I'm most likely that girl with a pair of sunglasses on top of her head even if it's cloudy outside.