Angelica Mendez ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.
Q: What’s your year and major?
A: I am a junior and my major is International Studies with a language concentration in Spanish and a track in Business. I’m also working on getting my Certificate of Translation Studies.

Q: What academic and extracurricular activities are you involved in?
A: At school I have participated in Ballroom Club and Spanish Club, outside of school I mainly work as a babysitter and honestly most of my time is spent studying.

Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Some of my hobbies include swimming, working out, I like attempting all kinds of challenging activates, reading, and translating.

FUN Fact: I was born and raised in the country of Colombia.

Q: What do you love about Adelphi?
A: Some of the things I love about Adelphi are the atmosphere of a small community; that same feeling also exists in the classrooms and with the staff which is really helpful and makes the education experience more enjoyable. I also like all the different activities that you can do and people that you have the chance to meet. 

Q: What do you wish to do when you graduate? (What are your goals)
A: My dream and goal after graduation is first acquiring my master’s degree in management, afterwards, work as an interpreter and translator for a publishing house or advertising firm where I can use my skills, challenge myself, and learn more in the process, and of course, travel the world.

Q: Do you have any role models?
A:Some of my role models include, of course, my mother. I’m sure like all loving mothers she’s a fighter and has never given up on providing everything I ever needed and always trying to teach me lessons that would benefit me for the rest of my life. Other role models I have are a few fitness icons like Amanda Latona, Steve Cook, Nikki Blacketter, Jazmine Garcia, Bradley Martin, Brittany Coutu, and so on. One thing all these individuals have in common is the drive to always move forward, to keep progressing and to never be held back by anything, always accepting and embracing being out of their comfort zones.

FUN Fact: I’ve only lived in the United States for 9 years, therefore my first language is Spanish, hence the translating and interpreting career choice.

Q: What’s your favorite place at Adelphi?
A: My favorite place at Adelphi would have to be the gym in the REC center, because it’s a place where I can go and relieve all my stresses of the day in a healthy and productive way. I get to zone out and not worry about all the other chores and homework I have to do.

Q: What advice would you give to incoming freshman?
A: My advice for freshmen would be don’t be shy, say hi and introduce yourself to people in your classes, don’t be afraid to talk to anyone, most people on campus are actually very nice. Go to events and do things on campus while you have the time, which disappears really fast, you’ll know it when you get there.

Q: What is your favorite memory at Adelphi?
A: One of my favorite memories at Adelphi was during freshmen year, when I actually had time to kill in between classes; a group of close friends and I decided to relax on the lawn right across from the School of Business during the spring, and we just sat there, talking about what we hoped college would be like, wondering what those last semesters would be like, trying to figure everything out before graduation, now that I’m almost there, I wish I could rewind these few years and relive every single one of those moments again.

FUN Fact: This summer, I will be going to Argentina for 4 weeks to study abroad, thanks to winning a scholarship here at Adelphi.

Q: What do you think is most important in order to have a great college experience?
A: College is all about balance and possibilities. Yes it’s higher education that will help you get a career, that will be the basis of your entire adulthood, but it’s not only that. It’s also meeting people, creating lasting friendships and memories, making a few mistakes along the way to learn what’s truly important, maybe meeting someone that will be with you for the rest of your life, who knows? College is a time when business and pleasure are allowed to mix, because if you’re not enjoying the learning process, why are you even investing all your money there?

Q: What do you look for in a partner?
A: What I look for in a partner are some basic human values: dignity, respect, honesty, plus good looks never hurt anyone, right? A real partner should be your best friend, someone you’d trust easily, someone who respects you and accepts you, the good and the bad. Sure its cliché and it sounds like a fairy tale, but let’s be honest, we’re all looking for our other half, if you have a heart that is.

Q: What would be the perfect date?
A: The perfect date would definitely involve some pretty fun stuff, zip-lining would be pretty awesome along with some good food of course, and traveling around, getting to know a new place, basically travel somewhere where neither of you have gone to before. 

Q: Single or taken?
A: Single, why? God only knows.
Hi I'm Liz!! I'm currently a sophomore at Adelphi University and I study communications. I strive to become a journalist or a news reporter someday. Besides being a contributor for HerCampus and studying communications, I have a passion for martial arts and criminal justice. I also love babysitting so I obviously love kids and something I may also do is become a teacher. One fun fact about me is that  I have been studying Ju Jitsu for the past 12 or 13 years and I am currently a second degree brown belt.