Alexander Bautista ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Q: What’s your year and major?

A: I am a senior anthropology major.

Q: What academic and extracurricular activities are you involved in at school?

A: Treasurer of the Lambda Alpha, Anthropology Honor Society and the vice president of the Anthropology club on campus.

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: I practiced Shotokan karate for a couple years, but I’ve always enjoyed fishing, whether it be here on Long Island or in Alaska.

FUN Fact: I used to live in the beautiful city of Anchorage, Alaska.

Q: What do you love about Adelphi?

A: What I love most about Adelphi is the sense of community and the people I have met. The bonds that I have formed on campus will last me for many years after I graduate.

Q: What do you want to do after you graduate?

A: After graduating, I hope to find a successful career as an archaeologist traveling around the world and contributing to our understanding of humanity and the past.

Q: Do you have any role models?

A: I’d say my greatest role model has been my father. He has always worked hard to support his family, which inspires me to work just as hard to achieve my goals. His good humor and kindness towards others is something I have always admired, and relatives telling me how much my father and I have in common never fails to put a smile on my face.

Q: What’s your favorite place at Adelphi?

A: My favorite place in Adelphi is the anthropology laboratory in Blodgett Hall. Countless hours have been spent there cataloging artifacts and stressing over exams, but just as many have been spent there laughing with friends, sharing meals, and generally having a good time with good company.

FUN Fact: I can barely swim, which I have always found strange since I live on an island.

Q: What advice would you give to incoming freshman?

A: I would say to cherish the little moments spent on campus, the times sharing a coffee or lying on the quad in the sun. Coming closer to the end of my time at Adelphi has made me think of how great those small moments were with my friends and I am sure I will look back on my time at Adelphi fondly.

Q: What is your favorite memory at Adelphi?

A: My favorite memory at Adelphi was my first ballroom dance performance for Ballroom Dance Club. There was a lot of anxiety in the days leading up to the performance, but I had this amazing partner named Steffi who really challenged me to rise to the occasion. It was really a rewarding experience.

Q: What do you think is most important in order to have a great college experience?

A: I think being open to people is the most important thing to having a great college experience. Some of the relationships a student makes here on campus could last for the rest of his or her life. You never know if that random person in class could be your new best friend!

FUN Fact: On a visit to Rome in a hotel, I once stayed on the same floor as the president of Nigeria.

Hi I'm Liz!! I'm currently a sophomore at Adelphi University and I study communications. I strive to become a journalist or a news reporter someday. Besides being a contributor for HerCampus and studying communications, I have a passion for martial arts and criminal justice. I also love babysitting so I obviously love kids and something I may also do is become a teacher. One fun fact about me is that  I have been studying Ju Jitsu for the past 12 or 13 years and I am currently a second degree brown belt.